1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtann spoiling deer cape

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Dannynewman, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

I have a deer cape that got delivered today and it's was in beginning stages of spoiling and slipping, so I put it in krowtann without turning/splitting the lips,nose and ears because I didn't want to cause more slipping, my question is the krowtann going to save the hide and has anyone turned ears and split lips and nose after tanning or am I peeing in the wind

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I hear it blowing hard so watch you don't get wet. Not turning them will cause more bacteria growth cause the salt won't reach those thick areas. Take it out and be gentile and split the best you can. Also no one can say if it's going to save it or not, there is no miracle soak for this. We sometimes save things and get lucky some is oh well I tried and that's the best you can do.

3. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

Thanks Frank, I'll pull it out and try to split, it smells awful will the smell go away after tanning, it's a real nice mule deer cape so I want to try everything I can to save.