1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Really Mckenzie????

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Bryan Russell, Mar 15, 2016.

1. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

I'm admittedly not much of a businessman. Did you provide an estimate of $730 or more prior to ordering?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You mean people actually mount their own stuff???? I have 4 racks hanging in the shop with enough dust on them to plant carrots in. The lowest score is a 135 and one is 177. I keep waiting for that day when I find the spare time to do them.

Hunter, where did you find a S&H fee for UPS. The charts that I see are for shipping only. And again, you much would it cost you to drive there and pick up your supplies. No one rides for free. SOMEBODY has to buy that box and the bubble wrap and the foam noodles. Priced them out lately?

3. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

I dont shop online much if at all from ebay or Amazon etc. Are their shippinh and "handling" fees about the same?

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Well yes and no. They are only passing on the cost that UPS charges them and for those of us that ship a lot we know they aren't cheap.

And boxes, packing materials, and getting a box ready to ship, takes time. And as we all know, time is money.

5. All the Mckenzie complainers...navigate with your mouse to the top right of the page...this FREE FORUM is sponsored by Mckenzie. Regardless of your position on the shipping issue its pretty classless IMO to slam a company on a site that they provide free and that we all make money from.

6. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

You dont think they benifit from having this site???

7. TaxidermyArtist1

TaxidermyArtist1 Member

I bought 8 tires from a tire distributor over the net, at better prices then local ,same tires , free shipping , explain that ? Volume ? McKenzie ships volume. Amazon the same thing anything over $35free shipping, I bought a cell phone tripod from Japan , $1.85 free shipping , explain that ?

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    George, I'll have to give it you here, most taxidermists, myself included, tend to be chitty business managers. The price of the services/ putting together a finished mount have to take into account for what procuring the materials costs as well as the other overhead. If you are already behind the ball, then a big shipping charge does sting, chalk it up as a learning experience and get ahead of the ball and raise your prices. I cannot believe the amount of whining that goes on about something that just about everyone has to deal with and that only a few have figured out how to handle.

9. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

Still looking for that weight, zip codes and measurements.................................Chirp....Chirp....Chirp.................

10. I had a box picked up for $38.00 the other shipping from the supplier was $92.00. When I was told $92.00 I said wait let me call you back.

11. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

LOL... no responce? ???

12. Shipping is NEVER FREE! It is worked into the price of the item you are purchasing. Amazon has a membership they sell to get free and fast so really you are paying into a pool.

13. rp

rp Member

Well I was looking at getting a blank from there shipped to South Africa. Blank cost is 195 dollars and then came the shock 890 dollars shipping. Four times the cost of the blank. Who in their right mind will pay for that.

14. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Oh well, I never checked back on this post since my original reply, so Im kind of out of this conversation. But MY point was, all too often people complain when a shipping price exceeds the price of the product being shipped. Thats what I was commenting on, as thats what was originally stated.

Now that this has become a post about shipping costs and how one shipper is more expensive than another, or how an individual can ship the same box cheaper than a big company...well, its simple. They charge what theyre worth. Some of you dont. Shipping AND HANDLING is the cost we see. Thats just how it is.

15. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

If shipping a mount costs more than the mount, I'm going to be up front with the potential customer and include those specifics in the contract. Not saying McKenzie is at fault, but I'm guessing Bryan was surprised because shipping cost wasn't provided up front.

If you give your customer a $600 total estimate for your taxidermy, but charge their credit card over $1200, I bet they'll question why.

16. Maineiac36

Maineiac36 Active Member

seems to me that Mckenzie offers carrier options. I failed to notice this once and paid 11 dollars shipping for a set of fish eyes. MY BAD I did not specify ups of usps or any other carrier but it was a simple fix and a learning lesson. has not happened since and have ordered a ton of stuff from them. but here is the one, if you want one item, like yesterday because you can't wait for it, well, your probably going to be paying extra shipping costs! the 7 P's of production come in to play here, BIG TIME!!

17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Just ordered a pair of 16 mm bass eyes 'cause I didn't have them and wanted to get the fish out soon but not necessarily terribly fast. Went with USPS and it was a lot cheaper than UPS would have been.

Btw used to have 30 day net with McKenzie but put a stop to that. I had a bad habit of ordering too many supplies at a time, and then not getting all the fish done in 30 days. Had a crazy idea a couple of times of getting all the fish out of the freezer and hanging from the rafters, and unplugging the freezer and skinning out whatever comes in, but it just never works out that way. One I get down to half a dozen fish the calls come in, "You've had my fish for x months... And the fish keep coming.

18. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I've never had a problem with shipping it is what it is and I charge the customer for it. Same with the prices for my work...it is what it is and if you don't like it there are a lot of bargain basement taxidermists close to me so you shouldn't have trouble finding one.That's how you sort out the good customers from the troublesome. Works for me...JL

19. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Exactly Jeff, for those of you still defending fraudulent shipping, explain this for me...

Attached Files:

20. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Attached Files: