1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Losing my fox bellies during rehydration

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Charman03, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Charman03

Charman03 New Member

I keep getting major belly slippage on red fox before I can even get them into the pickle. These are fleshed and stretched trapper dried furs that I'm rehydrating in a water/salt mixture, approximately 2lbs of salt per gallon of water.

Once rehydrated (16-20) hrs I go to rinse them prior to putting in the pickle and all of the belly fur comes off about 4 inches up on a case skinned fur.

Does anyone have any advice?

2. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

For one thing 16- 20 hours is way too long to re- hydrate a thin skinned flint dried fox, I would say agitate in re-hydration bath of cold water for flint dried fox ( no salt) 2- 3 hours, fox skins are very thin and do not take long to relax as you have just removed the skin from the carcass, agitation speeds up hydration. The only skin that I can think of that would take 16 - 20 hours to re-hydrate is a buffalo or elk lol.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Salt impedes hydration. 2 pounds of salt will slow hydration immensely. A salt dried skin will rehydrate faster than a flint dried skin usually.

4. Charman03

Charman03 New Member

I have some skinned and frozen fox pelts that I will salt after fleshing for next time. I also think I'll try the ultra soft relaxer and definitely try to cut the rehydration time down.