1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bears should I start doing them

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by drwalleye, Mar 17, 2016.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I have not gotten into bears yet and some of the greasy mess talk on here kind of steered me away. I have 3 friends going this year for bears and I think they assume I will do them. I use the auto tanner will that be ok for bear? Also I will only do shoulder mounts I am not going to mess with full body stuff yet. Any advice. I also as of now only use a mini flesher. Just looking for other thoughts to help me decide if I want to get involved with bears also. And I am not really needing more business I'm part time and my deer keep me going enough

2. DiverDino

DiverDino New Member

TN
    I have done a couple of bears and can't wait to do more. I haven't tanned any and always sent them off, but I enjoy mounting them... Just have some good reference and give them a shot.

3. dcooper

dcooper Member

I suggest that you go ahead and try it. I've done quite a few and while they are greasy, they really aren't too bad if you take your time to get the fat off the hide. I personally send everything out to a tannery to minimize any problems and I know I couldn't do it any better than them. Read thru George's post I attached. It's been around for a while but really has some good tips for you.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,148325.0.html

4. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

The Wildlife Gallery as well as other tanneries will charge you less than $60.00.....................why would you waste your time doing them yourself? Have your "Friends" pony up and spend your time mounting.

5. Harvestmoontaxi

Harvestmoontaxi Lake of the woods walleyes

Degreasing bears at home is not easy. Send them out to the pros for tanning.

6. I use trubond degreasers, I believe it's the 77 and it works great in the pickle. But I put them in a fresh pickle after shaving