1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question about white paint

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Shooterschoice, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Shooterschoice

Shooterschoice work is for people who dont fish

Alright so i have Woods and water off white, life toon hydromist are white poly trans par water bass belly white, and life tone pure white lacquer, It is the only color that when i use it splatters, no matter what i do, add thinner and retarder run it with out at a little at a time or one but none of other, it will always splatter and dry up super fast, None of my other colors have this problem, why does my white do it? does anyone have an insight on this,

2. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

I had the same problem as you . I use polytranspar lacquer bass white and haven't had a problem with it .

3. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Sounds like too high of air pressure.

4. Shooterschoice

i thought to high of pressure to which i was running it 25-30 just like the rest of my paints so i turned it down to about 10 and it was still doing it...

5. Shooterschoice

ill have to keep trying different whites i guess lol

6. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

At 10 pounds you're probably making it spatter. I don't use water base paint so don't really know what your solution is but I would thin the paint, strain it to be sure there are no clumps and then crank up the air pressure to 45lbs or more and try that and see how that works.....can't be worse than what you're doing now. Good luck....JL

7. Shooterschoice

i originali had it at 40 and it was splattering at that like running splattering, and it did it with pure white off white bass belly white woods and waters brand life tone brand and polytranspar brand, even at a low pressure it was doing it, its almost like the paint is 95 percent water and 5 percent paint, when it comes out of the spray gun no matter what PSI it just splatters and runs I'm gonna go back to lacquer paints, never had this problem with them lol

8. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

waterbase paint doesn't have fluid flow like lacquers or enamel paint...I first used oil paint thinned with turpentine, then because I painted T-shirts using rustolem paints, the tip on my airbrush never clogged..using the same airbrush, the waterbased paint always clogged, no matter what brand I used...although the rustolem paints worked really great, I always had to mix up custom colors..and when mixed with thinner,i could never store it for latter, it always gelled up.lacquer paint is the way to go

9. Shooterschoice

yea I'm switching back to lacquer paints for my fish, it sucks having to go back and fourth because it clogs up every 3/4 dots.

10. bowelk

bowelk Member

Many may disagree, but as someone who has been doing this for over 40 years, there are some airbrushes that just won't atomize water based acrylics well, but paint fantastic with lacquers. Assuming all paint is properly thinned and even sometimes strained of course.

11. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

You need W&W Detail White for the finer uses. I believe the W&W Off White has the bigger sized pigment that is difficult to run thru a #3 Paasche tip let alone anything smaller. OR, try Polytranspar Superhide White and it's off-white counterpart. This is actually a great white for most all around uses. Hydromist Whites are garbage, period. With any of the WB Whites (Except for W&W #201 WHite which is big, heavy pigment and covers well for broad areas) you need to apply in layers or they'll typically run. Build them up. BUT, for your application try the W&W detail white with a few drops of retarder added and I'll bet it fixes your problem. The pigment pieces of the stuff you're using are simply too big to shove thru your tip. First few spots make it then any paint that is drying on the tip is taking up that very small excess in your opening. Switch paint and it doesn't have to be lacquer based!