1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Locked buck mountin question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Rackmastr, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Hey Guys,

I've got my first set of locked WT's that I'll be mounting in the next month or two coming up. I worked with the client to see if we could mount them on a pedestal or do something cool like that, but for financial reasons he's decided to go with a 'corner' piece with both deer coming out of each corner. I'm using some standard forms with alteration as the way they are locked seems like it will work pretty well for the corner without a ton of changes.

What I'm curious about is the work space and mounting each buck with the obvious limitations on space between the two and working area with the faces, tucking, finishing, etc.

I'm starting to see how I could manage this a bit to make it easier on me, and have come to the conclusion that mounting one buck first (without the other attached at all) is easiest, as I can fully mount/finish the one buck without anything in the way (other than a set of locked antlers and skull cap). Then, when it comes to mounting the second buck, I think that it may be easiest to set the antlers in bondo and only attach them to the form once I've mounted/tucked the face on the buck and right before I stitch up the seam. I usually set the antlers before any mounting but thinking that this process (similar to a short y mounting job) may make it easier.

Thoughts? Am I on the right track for making sure I give myself the most space and ability to mount each buck without them in the way of eachother? Any other tips on mounting locked bucks?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have no experience in locked bucks, however, your idea sounds like a good one.

3. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

You are in the right track. That's how I did a see several years ago. But it takes lot of planning and test fitting but that's taxidermy. Good luck!