1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Liqua tan question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by luciengwin4, Mar 18, 2016.

1. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    I have a coyote that has been pickled and liqua tanned. The guy buying it from me wants me to let it dry. If I do this will it still be able to be rehydrated and mounted with no problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

yes you will be perfectly fine to dry it and hydrate the skin with no issues with in a certain time. It's always better to have it mounted with in 6 months.

Reason being you will have no idea on how he's going to keep it. It will mount up if taken care of properly and that really would be in a freezer. If they want it dry tanned and wants to show it off let him know what the problems may lie with in by having it hang around. Heat is a major factor that can deplete oils from the skin, sun or mishandling it. As long as they know then do it. I personally would let him have it a month then mount it up JMPO here

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

It wasn't until the last few years that I didn't finish it out dry and rehydrate in water. It worked for me for about 15 years until I got a "wet tanned storage freezer". Much nicer not having to rehydrate.

4. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    Thanks guys

5. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I think the directions on the LT says to let it dry out. Stretch as it dries, did this on a white tail cape and it was soft and hydrated up nicely.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

It's one of the options they have on the bottle, however, they state that the preferred option is to wet tan it.