1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best Method To Cast Reptiles?

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Trapper2016, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Hello folks,

I have a red eyed tree frog that was my pet many years ago that i preserved at the time in denatured alcohol. I recently took him out, positioned him and froze him. I know that a potential mold may not come out good, considering the preservation method, but i would like to give it a try. I am just trying to figure out the best method to mold the frog with.

I have considered covering the frog with silicon caulk, similar to making artificial rocks, and then making a mold of that cast with resin, although i dont think thats a good method for this frog. I have thought about smooth on, but am not that familiar with the product. If anyone has any advice on making a reptile mold, as far as the initial molding material, i would really appreciate your advice.

Thanks for your time
    Chris

2. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

I should add that i searched the archives and saw an interesting thread about making reptile molds where Alginate was used to make the mold. This seems to be a great method, but i am confused when covering a 3 dimensional reptile like a frog, where the frog needs to be seen from every side. Once i make my damn around the frog and then poor the alginate on the frog, how would i go about demolding? I will need to have the alginate on all sides of the frog, so i suppose i would pour a little alginate at the bottom of the damn, insert the frog, and then pour alginate on top of that. So basically i am left with a cube of alginate with a frog in the middle. I have never worked with alginate before, so how do you remove the frog, leaving the mold in shape so that it can be cast from?

3. Trapper, we are having a huge jamboree up in Maine... Rick Krane will be doing a awesome seminar with the latest state of the art products he uses when molding and casting.

You can still sign up at www.mainetaxidermy.org

at Cabelas in Scarsborough Maine

Molding & casting knowledge is power ....
    -World Renown Fish Artist Rick Krane.

Form alteration & correcting of a whitetail deer....
    -The “God Father” Richard Christoforo

Custom body wrapped mounts old school meets new school....
    -Peter Acampora

Bird mounting 101
    -Paul Reynolds