1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Should I buy an auto tanner?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by SongdogStudios, Mar 19, 2016.

1. SongdogStudios

SongdogStudios Member

Hello everyone -

There is someone near me who is selling a powder-coated Dan Rinehart 22 gal auto tanner. We've been doing some research on them but I am confused by a few things.
    1. I'm getting that the stainless steel option is way better than the powder coated, but is the powder coated one terrible and unusable? Or would it be a good cheap start?
    2. What is the difference between an auto tanner and a drum that spins? My husband said he could easily build a drum with a motor attached that would agitate the hides and perhaps accomplish the same thing. I am *really* enticed by the idea of not having to salt and pickle my hides, and just tossing them into the auto tanner with some chemicals sounds fantastic. Can I do that with a regular drum tanner that isn't pressurized?

Thank you for your time and responses!

2. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

I'm almost positive you can get the same results from a drum that is not pressurized. I think it's the constant turning action that makes the auto tanner work not the pressure. But if your tanning hides for mounts I suggest you try krowtann before you try anything else you won't be disappointed, all the salting, pickling, and tanning happens at the same time in one mixture with krowtann.

3. SongdogStudios

SongdogStudios Member

Thanks for the reply! The only concern I have with Krowtann is that it takes 3-4 days, doesn't it?
    I'm looking to also pick up tanning for taxidermists around the area and use that for extra cash on the side. I want to get as easy and quick (while maintaining quality) as I can. I think my plan right now is to build a wet drum tumbler (with no pressure) and use the Dan Rinehart auto tanner chemicals in it. Is that doable or am I crazy? Lol

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

None of the major tanneries use them as far as I know so I don't think your going to set a new standard. The pressure is suppose to speed up the process but its still a submersible tan weather it turning or stagnant. Seems they were in fashion some years ago but the fad wore off. Cracks and rust seem to be a problem as said on here with the drums.

5. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

I think that's a good idea if your looking for fast effective tan, from what I understand the pressure does nothing to speed up the tanning process,

6. birddogguy

birddogguy Member

NO!

7. Guttbag22

Guttbag22 Member

The only thing the pressure does is to keep the door shut pressure has nothing to do with the tanning agitation is the key to a speedy tan

8. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I bought one from Dan 6 years ago and it is still in great shape. I only do 15 deer a year so its not going like a lot of you out there. I clean it and oil it between every cape. the rubber gasket needed to be replaced 2 years ago and will need again soon but that was around 10 bucks. the DVD back then said pressure did help with penetration but this is the first I heard about pressure not helping. I started out messing with all the salt, pickle, neutraliser and I spent more time carring buckets out of my basement ( I don't want that stuff in my mound) so I really like the auto tanner and feel it does a good job. had a few questionable capes come out that may or may not have worked otherwise. I would check into the pressure debate but the method as far as I'm concerned is great. and even better if I could do same steps with out pressure then you can make your own. they do cost enough hope this helps

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Didn't your science teacher in school tell you that water can not be compressed with pressure? Think about it, air pressure in the top of the tank, skins under fluid, doing nothing as water can not be compressed.

10. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

SMH !!! Everyone wants it "fast and easy".

The pressure is a gimmick.

DP

11. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I was considering one at one time but the huge cost drove me away since I am only a hobbyist. It seems the general consensus is that only thing the pressure is good for is to seal the tank and has no real effect on the actual tanning process or quality.

There have been several threads about the auto/pressure tanner in the tanning section of this forum. You might want to go there and do a search and you will find a lot of opinions.

12. I have been using mine since they first came out. I love it! Don't care if pressure just holds the lid on. It still works. I had t o replace a motor once and the seals every few years. But that's all. Tank is still in pretty good shape.

Bruce