1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

stripping

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by ozzy49938, Mar 20, 2016.

1. I have an old walleye I would like to strip and repaint. What is the best way to go about it. It was done with lacquer paint and powders for tipping the scales and has been sealed with just a spray clear. Is just thinner going to work or do I need more. Thanks
    Ozzy

2. Thinner alone probly wo nt work ,you will need paint stripper .you could also get some white primer and paint over it ,then paint it as you would a replica.

3. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Give the lacquer thinner a try. Got nothing to loose. Had good luck with just the thinner.

4. Shooterschoice

Shooterschoice work is for people who dont fish

i did an old brown (like 20 years old) it took a lot of paint stripper and elbow grease

5. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

lacquer thinner always works for me and I've had some thickly painted re-do's. Just have to be careful with the fins as you'll find some need to be coated again before new paint. I use an old toothbrush for tight spots too.

6. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Oh crap, I seen stripping and I automatically clicked on it. Dang, bummer, should've known!

7. Lacquer thinner or the citri strip. http://www.walmart.com/ip/17209362?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227017571298&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42976518392&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=81468792752&veh=sem

When a fish is delicate the citristrip works well. Dont expect the whole fish to be done at once work on small areas and you may need to scrap the the stripper off with a putty knife.

Once done, iron down and scales that are popped up. Seal with Zinser yellow shellac, allowing the natural colors to show through, once dry, start over painting.

Lacquer thinner will not always work, some older varnished and the old Van Dykes top coat are to strong got the lacquer thinner.

8. davewooddell

davewooddell New Member

Acetone works, outside preferably. Wash with a chip brush until you are down to the skin. I still have a 22.5 in brook trout I stripped and remounted twice using this method. It evaporates before it damages the skin.

9. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

x2 Dave Wooddell. Acetone is what I use to strip all fish that need it. I have a clean drywall bucket and put 2 quarts of acetone in it, then put on rubber gloves and get a throw away chip brush. Hold the fish by the head and dip the brush in the acetone and start washing. As the acetone washes down it will get those painted areas soft for the washes you will do as you get to the tail. Take this acetone and put it in another clean container and put two quarts of clean acetone back into the bucket and finish washing the fish. Combine the acetone of both buckets and let the paint residue settle on the bottom. Now put the clear acetone back in the gallon can that it came in and mark the can USED ACETONE. You can use the same acetone again for the next stripping job. Burn the old/dirty acetone and discard. Good luck...JL

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I don't strip anymore unless the paint is peeling. White out everything except the fins. Seal with clear lacquer sealer. Then antique and paint like a replica. More control that way vs. a possible dark fish once the paint is removed. And no stripper residue to vex me or damage to the fins.