1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting deer antlers

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Icarus, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Icarus

Icarus Something Witty

A few weeks ago I was volunteered to mount a deer rack (for free). The problem is that the gent left the head in the backyard for several months after it was shot during rifle season and what I got was essentially rotting/mummified deer jerky with antlers (and maggots!).

I got the skull cap off and I've been fighting the skin on it ever since. I already have to re-stain the lower part of the bases because they've lightened from soaking, which seems to work in micro increments. The edges where I've managed to skin soften, I shave that away, I soak again. I've shaved a good deal of the hair off hoping it will go a little easier. Does anyone have any tips for getting this skin off? I know it's difficult on fresh heads but this is borderline absurd. Should I get some sharp chisels and a hammer?

And if anyone has any pictures of how they cut the skull caps to mount on the plague I would greatly appreciate them. I'll be checking the Tutorial section later but I'm doing the rehydration dance again.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Simmer that remaining junk off. It has been about the only way I have found.

3. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

Simmering is the way to go. I literally had no choice but throw one in a pot just because of the smell. I put some baking soda in it as well. But watch out when doing that, it will boil over if you add too much.

4. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Try a Dremel sander if it's that hard.. never tried it but sounds like worth a try