1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sticky top on clear casting resin

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by Brian Reinertson, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Poured my water, it's hard and looks great. What is the best and least messy way to treat the top so it's not so sticky? I don't want to be picking dog hair out of it before the show! Thanks

2. Syms1919

Syms1919 Member

I would just take a little bit of your catalyst and wipe it around on the top and see if that makes it harden up, I've had this happen with normal resin when there isn't enough catalyst

3. Syms1919

Syms1919 Member

I would just take a little bit of your catalyst and wipe it around on the top and see if that makes it harden up, I've had this happen with normal resin when there isn't enough catalyst

4. jakecs

jakecs Member

your shorthair shouldn't shed bad enough to worry about :)

5. The clear resin if its a polyester resin, does NOT HAVE wax in it. So it will remain sticky. Ah but there is a cure and the people from the main manufacturer knows this.

https://www.createforless.com/Castin-Craft-Resin-Spray-Finish-Sealer-5.25-oz.-Clear-Gloss/pid82500.aspx?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=1439820380&catargetid=530001980000043823&cadevice=c&gclid=CNaBpNmDicwCFY-DaQodL3UMrA

6. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm doing a big water/splash scene now. I was finished pouring and had let everything set up. I applied the casting resin spray that John C posted and it fogged the water. Especially on the suspended pieces. I let it dry thinking that was the problem. I went back over all the water again and cleared it all up, but am leery to spray it again. Anyone ever had this happen? Is it my application, or has my spray gotten old? I used it last year and it did great. Like the OP, I want to seal it. Fingerprints and English Mastiff hair here.

7. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Just as a follow up. After letting the water cure for a couple more days, the stickiness went away. Still not sure why the resin spray fogged the water? Also if you are using the "Habitat and Exhibit" manuals chart on resin to catalyst ratios, I wound up increasing the catalyst on the 20% mix by 1/3. Not sure if it was my catalyst, or if it's just not as potent as when the book was printed. I had no yellowing and a gel time of approximately 15 min using the increased ratio.

8. Sonnyknight

Sonnyknight Member

Here
    I have had that happen before and I just got some gloss lacquer spray and sprayed just a little bit on it and it worked great. you can get it at any hardware store.
    Sonny :)

9. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

IMO you need to just recoat everything with the exact resin you used. Mixing products can ruin a project. I have had spray on finishes fog up a nice clear scene and learned the hard way. Sticky residue is caused by either not mixing the resin enough or getting the ratios wrong. A simple application of another batch is your safest bet

10. The reason the resin is sticky is that there is not any paraffin wax in the resin. Not lack of MEKP activator. Over catylization will make the resin turn brown in a few weeks. The sealer may require more than one coat. and it is fine to final gloss with clear lacquer.