1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bengal tiger rug repair

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by ledford01, Mar 21, 2016.

1. I have a customer who wants a 1950's era Bengal tiger rug repaired. the majority of the hide is still actually in decent shape but the bad spots are pretty bad. The tail is the worst, it has several spots that are torn or cracked and peeling up from the felt backing. The head is ripped off of the hide but it does line back up perfectly so im hoping it wont be bad. there is one other spot on the back where a cat clawed it up and it's missing material but will pull together with some finessing. My question is does a guy rehydrate at all to sew it, do I sew at all or just try and glue it? Thanks for any help im a little leery about this one.

2. I'm not sure what to do for the tail but I know that you SHOULD NOT re-hydrate it due to age. There is a pretty high chance that the leather will fall apart.

3. ice

ice Active Member

Alaska
    I've had good luck with lining the fragile hide with a layer of thin, split deer skin. Contact cement works well, stays flexible, and the deer skin will give the hide enough strength to be able to sew it. Don't wet it though.

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I just repaired a vintage Polar Bear rug. Hide was dried out and could be torn very easily. All toes were off and lower jaw was crushed and teeth gone, Only fix was to 2-part leather material to backing, which was some sort of a canvas, and glue toes back and fix face. If I would have hydrated it I would of had a paper pulp slop with white hair mixed in. No sewing could be done either.

5. Thanks for the replies!