1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lot of scales off my crappie

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by beaverman05, Mar 22, 2016.

1. beaverman05

beaverman05 Member

Hello everybody

I had a crappie that was in the fish tan solution for over a year and when I mounted it I lost a lot of scales. Like over half. Mostly at the top of the back and down by the belly. Do I have to try and mold all those lost scales or is there a better way? Can I just seal and paint? Thanks for the help

2. Leapin

Leapin Member

Discard and get another crappie.

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

They have to be handled carefully, scales come off easily. Some coat the whole fish with white glue before mounting, clean off afterwards.

4. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

for future crappies, i've heard that if you keep them semi-frozen, be VERY careful when skinning, and put them in alcohol right after, scale loss will be kept to a minimum.

5. beaverman05

beaverman05 Member

Thanks for all the advice for future crappies.
    I think I'll just finish it up and see how it turns out.

P.s. sorry this got posted 4 times my phone was being goofy and I didn't think it was submitted.

6. margip

margip Member

I've done wholesale fish for quite a few years and used to always hate to get crappie and the big stripers. That is until I found a surefire way lock the scales on these two finicky fish. If you have a supplier in your area that sells wood finishing products then see if they have methanol. This could probably be found at other suppliers but that is where I found it at a reasonable price. Put it in a spray bottle full strength. Rinse the thawed fish to remove all the slime. Pat the fish dry with a towel to remove most of the water. Spray the fish liberally and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Start skinning the fish and continue to spray the fish on the outside as well as the inside of the skin. Just shoot it occasionally but pay attention to fins as the methanol has a drying effect and fins can start to dry or stiffen if not kept wet. After skinning and fleshing, spray the fish one last time and proceed with whatever process that you would normally use. I know there are lots of methods out there that give great results. This is just what I have found to work better than anything that I have tried. You should still use care as normal with these type fish, but I can say that I don't lose any scales even on the big (30,40+ lb. stripers) using this method. Give it a try on a one. Just thought I'd share.

7. beaverman05

beaverman05 Member

We'll I painted it without scales on the top 1/3 and this is the result . I know there are mistakes. Especially with apoxie rebuild and coloring but for sitting over a year and being my 2nd crappie I have ever done I'm ok with this one. Much more work to go into the next couple. Thinking since I caught the next ones on hard water, I might make an ice scene and try my hand at a pedestal fish mount! Thanks for the help - everybody, in everything!

Attached Files:

8. They don't look that bad from the pics you posted