1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Airbrushes

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by stokedlight86, Mar 22, 2016.

1. stokedlight86

stokedlight86 Member

Hello everyone,

New to taxidermy and have posted a few questions on here which were all answered and super helpful, which is appreciated. I'm curious about airbrushes...I feel like since I got into this I have been buying buying buying...buying forms, materials and misc. I wasn't sure at first if I was vested enough to want to purchase an airbrush but I'm hooked and I feel that if I want to continue and finish a cpl projects properly I probably need and airbrush. i have absolutely no knowledge about them and I have never actually used one. I have done two full body coyote mounts, a few squirrels and with the upcoming fishing season I would like to attempt to tackle and practice on some fish. My coyote mounts need the finish painting (nose, ears and anything else people have for advice). I dont know much about painting when it comes to taxidermy so I have a few questions.

what is a good starter airbrush? what type of paint to use? is painting necessary? ( i feel like for fish it def is) how do you go about knowing what colors to use for noses inside of ears and so forth?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks Josh.

P.S- completelhy random but I have a couple projects in the freezer that I am going to tackle one by one in the coming months..my first whitetail doe shoulder mount, a full body fisher and a boar shoulder mount that i just shot down in SC. So if anyone has any advice or helpful tips on these subjects any and all are welcome hahaha...PM me or respond to this thread either way the advice will be helpful.

2. birddogguy

birddogguy Member

Air brush ... Best you can afford

3. spk1142

spk1142 Member

start with a passe(spl?) single action. A good brush at a reasonable price.

4. Best is a opinion.

If you are going to do fish, you will need two airbrushes. One to spray metallic and pearls through and a detail for non-metallic colors.

A Paasche VL will give you the broad coverage, for base colors white, green and your metallics. VL 3
    https://jet.com/product/detail/b2e3d21bef5243fe825052ff6f599968?gclid=CMD_mtbn1ssCFQepaQodUk4DAw

A Paaschee Talon for the detail colors (NO METALLICS)
    https://jet.com/product/detail/7416c28c8fdd4c3ebb1babe9a235d504?gclid=CPHl_Jjo1ssCFQcKaQodfGMIDg

5. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Using an airbrush takes practice like any other tool. When I went to art school back in the late 70's there was an airbrush class you could take. You also need to re color everything that you mount, fish, animals and birds.

6. stokedlight86

stokedlight86 Member

Thanks for the responses. John I will check those links out and take a look at those brushes. What's the reason that you need separate brushes for metallics?

7. I have always used the Paasche single action Model H airbrush with their compressor with great results.

8. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

Check out Dixie art or bear air , they have good prices on airbrushes , parts , and supplys

9. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

I use the single action H series I believe. They sell them at hobbie lobby locally. Simple to use and clean, and replacement tips aren't too expensive. I personally use polytranspar laquer based paints just because that is what I learned with and have accumulated over the years. I do have three guns though. One for each tip size (1,3,&5 I think is how they are labeled). Youo wouldn't need three guns but I just happened to buy two over the years and I bought my wife one for her to use strictly because she doesn't like me in her work station...it's OK if she is in mine though lol.

10. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I rarely use my airbrush. It gets passed over for the artist brushes regularly.

11. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I recently ...........

I recently picked up a Paasche VISION and love it!

:)

Kerby...

12. MooseFriend

MooseFriend Just a moose from Canada, eh?

ALRIGHT I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT AIRBRUSHES;
    But there was a huge sale at the local craft store the other day so I picked up an airbrush set. (I've always wanted one!)

I got the Badger 350-F sprayer and at first the Aztek (Testors) Mini Blue compressor. The connections didn't fit - I wasn't quite expecting them to - so I exchanged it for Model AS180-12 Badger.
    The box says it'll fit any make of Badger sprayers -- Except the one i bought?
    Did someone switch out the bolt for a different size? (The little bag it came in was ripped open) or am I just not connecting them right? The bolt won't even fit on the compressor itself, anyway. There's a small rubber ring on the inside and no matter how hard I press it just won't screw on. It's like the bolt is ever so slightly too big for the connector on the compressor (as well as too short) and the little cap that the airhose goes into. Am I supposed to buy something that goes in between these things (I'm guessing the connector is 1/4", as it seems to be the same size as the Aztec) or am I really just putting them together wrong?

13. stokedlight86

stokedlight86 Member

Hey everyone.....

So i went out and picked myself up a Paasche double action airbrush and some different paints. I have been playing around with it and quickly realized that I have a long time and alot of practicing to do haha. But overall I am happy with the machine besides a little splattering which could be air pressure because I am running it off a fairly large bosch pancake compressor at 25-30lbs. I got to do some eye work and inside the ears on that doe mount, and Im currently painting the inside of a nasty ol hog mouth.

14. I have used both a double action Paasche and a single action airbrush of theirs. I personally like their model 'H' airbrush the best!

I did a lot military models and miniatures and such for years - aircraft mostly - for years and I found the single action the easiest to use, learn to use w/o a lot of 'spitting' around esp when learning, etc. But hey - that's ME! My mentor prefers and uses a double action airbrush only.

15. I use laqure paints, the extra over spray comes off the hair with a tooth brush,,,as for colors look at your referance photos