1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

field care

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by ericd, Mar 23, 2016.

1. I don't know if this is the correct spot for this question but I have two clients heading out next season one to Alaska (for 5 days) and one lower 48, but hours from a camp.
    how to do these guys keep their trophies good without freezers, ice, etc. They also don't know how to shave, split or turn anything. they wont have guides and the animals they are going for are black bear, and caribou. I am showing them how to cape the caribou but the bear will still have the head and paws in it.

2. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Not sure how you can get around proper field care if they expect to have their trophies mounted. I'm sure you explained the facts about how without refrigeration/freezing these capes will not be viable unless everything is skinned fleshed, turned, split and salted (including the bear paws). If they do not learn or want to learn to do this proficiently then they will have to deal with the consequences, if that's how they intend to hunt (without guides or access for days).

3. Thanks AZ-Rich

I have talked them through the process, and told them to go kill some smaller cirtters and practice before they leave. I figured there was no way around it.
    Thanks

4. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

See if there's a local taxidermist near there who will skin and salt the hides for a small fee and ship them to you.

5. I would but they will be in the tundra for 7 days with no outside contact. I sent them on some hunts to get some practice skinning. Figure if they can skin and shave hogs they can skin and shave anything.