1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

NTA State Taxidermist of the Year "The Old Man of Mikeno" Mask Award

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Michelle B, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Just a note to any state association that does not have your convention info on taxi-net or in Breakthrough, PLEASE call Tim at NTA HQ and give him all your info so we can get this award out to your state before your convention.

Please do that as soon as you know your show dates to give him plenty of time to mold it and have it sent.
    call 618-669-2929

--Michelle

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Re: NTA State Taxidermist of the Year Mikeno Mask Award

Fantastic award! Big thanks to the NTA for offering up one of the most amazing pieces of Taxidermy history as an award. I have picked out an extremely special place to display mine.

3. Great Ken, Glad to hear it

4. Major

Major New Mexico.....Not much different than the old one

Re: NTA State Taxidermist of the Year Mikeno Mask Award

Can I just do it here??!!!

Our New Mexico State Taxidermy Association Annual Show is April 28-May 1st.
    It will be in Albuquerque, NM.

Thanks!
    They can contact me at 575-532-9340
    [email protected]

5. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

My hangs on my showroom. Thanks NTA
    Everyone thinks it's very cool looking !

6. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

The list of winners so far, is very impressive. Congrats to all the winners.

It is best to call in to make sure I have everything correct for your convention. 618-669-2929

Also, please make sure to follow up by sending in to headquarters a picture and info for your winners.

Send to: [email protected]

7. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

What is this award given to ? What are the guidelines as to how it is awarded ?

Thx

8. NTA

NTA National Taxidermists Association

It is a Judge's Choice, not necessarily reflective of a score sheet score.

9. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Judges choice for what i guess is my question ? The WASCO goes to judges choice for most artistic mount. Just wondering what parameters are given. Hope this makes sense.

10. NTA

Judge's Choice "TAXIDERMIST OF THE YEAR"

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I too am confused. How do judges vote for taxidermist of the year, if they don't know who the taxidermist is? The qualifications seem very vague. As a judge, if someone handed me a sheet of awards to pick, and one said pick "taxidermist of the year", my response would be: "huh?"

12. NTA

The award is limited to taxidermists who are in the Masters Division and are present at the Convention, and is selected from all the entries in the Masters Division. In making the selection judges are not bound by any numerical score a mount may receive. The Judges will make the selection based on the mounts overall merit. Winners will receive a replica of the Old Man of Mikeno Death Mask casted by Carl Akeley.

It's that simple.

13. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

So judges favorite "mount" of the show in Masters division....

14. NTA

Collectively, yes. That would about sum it up.

15. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

This is really nice , but our problem down here is we already have a taxidermist of the year award. It would just be a duplicate and ours is awarded by a board vote. That's going to be confusing and maybe dilute the meaning of getting it.

16. Fred Vanderburgh

Fred Vanderburgh Member

Jerry,

Your TTA Taxidermists of the Year is not driven by the mount that is entered but by the TTA board of Directors Choice. The " Old Man of Mikeno" is picked by the Judges rewarding a person for the quality and artistic merit of that piece at your show in the masters division not driven by numerical score. With that said possibly it could be the same person your board picks.We that have competed know you can win multiple awards at a show being called the same thing for the same piece. Your is a TTA award and this is a NTA award. So you can have a NTA Taxidermist of the YEAR and a TTA Taxidermist of the Year.The awards have different criteria and if announce that way I don't believe it would dilute either award. Good question.

17. zorro

zorro New Member

Looks awesome. 8)

A brilliant move would have given it a definite criteria...DIFFERENT than other awards....and THEN make the winners eligible to compete for a special NATIONAL version at the NTA.

As it is, it is basically Judges Choice Best of Show and will go to the same person winning the Breakthrough Award at 99% of shows. :p

Cool looking award but a missed opportunity. :(

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

There are a lot of awards that are chosen by the judges. I would agree that it would likely follow best of show or competitors[peoples] choice as the judges would likely be in a similar mind set. In the case where a competitor wins both titles as in California, it would pretty much go to that piece. Choosing criteria for an award is not easy and in an association there has to be a consensus amongst board members. Obviously the board thought it best to leave the choosing of "NTA Taxidermist of The Year" in the capable hands of the judges at that particular show. If you happen to win this award, covet it. It is an amazing piece of taxidermy history which is extremely prestigious in itself.

19. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

I just think the name is misleading... "taxidermist of the year" sounds like a competitors or best all around award. It is one piece, picked by the judges, not really the taxidermist of the year at all. Why not just call it the "NTA Award of Excellence" or something...

20. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

100% agree with B.S.O'hare