1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Why did my deer cape rot in the Krowtan

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by man2hit, Mar 24, 2016.

1. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I use a 5 gallon bucket and weigh it down with a milk jug filled with water for the first couple days until it's saturated and will not float.

2. tviper56

tviper56 Active Member

I use Krowtan exclusively and have for about five years. I get the red meat off and split the face and turn the ears. I have had good luck with it and while using the five gallon bucket for the first several years, I bought a small used pressure tanner from a friend of mine in my local state association. I have always followed the instructions and measured accordingly and have been quite lucky as to not having anything rot. I have had one deer cape slip but it was iffy before I put it in. One thing I did learn is that if you have a cape that requires salting before you put it in, make sure all of the salt is washed thoroughly before putting in the solution. I have started putting in 1/4 of a cup of Krow oil now and get a real soft stretchable cape when I do my final flesh work. With Krowtan and the pressure tanner using 40 pounds of pressure, I put in a deer cape and a coyote pedestal cape this morning and took them out after six hours. They are ready to flesh and mount tomorrow now. Also, male sure you are using non-iodized salt in the solution. Iodized table salt will reduce the effectiveness of the solution. Good luck to all, Tim