1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bondo ears with split ends

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by 1stturkey, Mar 24, 2016.

1. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

I apologize in advance for a question I should be able to find the answer to in the archives, but unfortunately I cannot.

Have a raccoon I want to use bondo for the ears but I have cuts in the ends of the ears and am unsure how to prevent the bondo from squeezing out the splits and sticking to the hair. Should the ends be sewed/super glued before the bondo or do you simply trim the excess before it dries?

This is my first attempt at bondo ears on anything.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The options I would use are ... 1) sew them or 2) let the Bondo come out the ends and remove it as it gels. I have done both and don't really find one to be better than the other.

3. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Will try option 2 tonight.

Thanks for the feedback.

4. birddogguy

birddogguy Member

Bondo is very easily removed once it starts to kick. Let it get to a rubbery stage and then work on it with wire or stiff plastic brush. If the holes are in a flat area sometimes I will put paper medical tape over the hole with a little super glue.

5. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

That's good to know, birddogguy, thanks.
    The holes/cuts are on the ear edges. I thought about tape, or something else, to stop the bondo flow but I think it would end up making the edge thicker than I want.

6. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Personally I would sew the holes with a very fine needle and thread.

7. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Thanks, Katie. I wish I had sewn them as the hole in one ear was bigger than I thought so a lot of bondo came out and created a bigger mess than I anticipated. Hopefully I can get it cleaned up to look better than it does now.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Bondo will only hold the skin there when you are looking at it. Down the road, it most likely will disbond and separate.

9. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Another option is to use apoxy in the ears. It will leak out slower and since they have very small ears, they should be easy to shape.

10. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

Need to sew , Low T is right , over time they will come apart with the bondo . If you dont want to sew I'm with boarhunter apoxy

11. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Thanks for all the good advice, guys. Really appreciate it.

12. Syms1919

Syms1919 Member

I would have turned them inside out and super glued with a nitrile glove

13. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

U can use critter clay in them. It works great on small mammal ears.

14. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Man, so many ways to skin a cat. I didn't realize all the possible approaches to address this problem. You guys are great.

15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I would like to know when this debonding will occur. Is it a climate induced debonding or a timeline debonding?

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

You have never fixed other guys crap that this happened to yet? Time will tell, and it always does.

17. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

Low T is right on . I don't know when the debonding happens , But it does . Over the years I have fixed a lot that has came apart .

18. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Thanks.

19. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it's the bondo doing it. I've had to repair ears that split open like that that had ear liners.

20. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Liners or bondo, ripped ears will let go of the glue over time. Lazy azz sewers, sew the rips up, it isn't that hard. Anti sew'ers act like they will go out of business if they had to sew ears.