1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bondo ears with split ends

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by 1stturkey, Mar 24, 2016.

1. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

For one bondo is not a glue , that don't help . And a lot of glues break down over time . Bottom line sew it . Taking short cuts and not sewing will come back and bite you .

2. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

I'm pretty sure when I use Tech-Bond glue with or without a patch to repair ear tips and other tedious areas it's not because I'm taking a shortcut or being lazy. It's to produce a superior repair. Try a few different methods and see what works for you.

3. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

I have always sewed but hate that you can feel where the repair is,and you dont get that nice flat edge. Also depending on where the hole is you have to cover up the seam, which I personally have a hard time doing with thread. If it is a small hole I just leave it bondo and if it is a split tear that is larger I will try to sew it up. Always a pain in the ass. Best not to put any holes in the ears when turning but that isn't always the case either.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I guess I don't understand this concept. If the glue let's go of the skin over time, then are you saying that eventually the ear will let go of the liner as well. If you can't trust the glue to hold ear skin to ear skin and ear skin to liner, how can you trust the rest of the ear skin to remain adhered to the liner? I think I understand the Bondo letting go, but have trouble understanding glue de bonding.
    I have heard of super glue breaking down, turning to powder and de bonding, but what about epoxy or high end glues?

5. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

When using bondo, I always clean with acetone before and have never experienced this letting go issue. Seems like there are always liners involved when I see splitting and drumming problems. They weren't my mounts so I don't know how or what was done. I've experienced no problems with Epo-grip with or without liners.

6. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

I can't speak to epoxy glues, or the longevity of pro 1, but I know that bondo ears, and many glues with plastic liners drum over time. I scored an 89 in the open with my second competition piece back around 1996, and the ears are fairly drummed now. But here's the key, you would only know it if you felt it, and if you were a taxidermist who knew to feel for it. So, how much does it really matter at the end of the day? On the other hand, if that same ear were repaired by just letting the bondo hold the skin together, rather than sowing, you'd now have a problem that anyone could notice. That's the key to me. Now, if you are using something that just won't let go, that's possibly ok. I'm just not experienced with any adhesive that I'd trust personally.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Ok, that makes sense.

8. bow-cephus

bow-cephus New Member

I usually sew with a very small round tip needle and as fine a braided fishing line as possible. I then use a little super glue gel around the stitch and back with a piece (cut slightly larger than the hole) of used dryer sheet.