1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Loon ID

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by birdstuffer, Mar 25, 2016.

1. I had an employee of the nature center here bring me a frozen Loon. It's been in the freezer for quite a while and is a bit freezer burned. We aren't positive of the type of Loon. Here are pics. We are thinking a yellow billed Loon...winter phase or an immature Arctic loon? Tell me your opinions please...thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. from the photos I have I think your right,, yellow biled loon,,

3. nate

nate Active Member

You lucky duck Cheri!! I always wanted the chance to mount a loon!! I'm jealous. LOL

4. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Yes Cheri, you are right, yellow billed loon, beautiful bird.

5. I always wanted to mount a Loon too but not a freezer burnt one! They are definitely bigger than I thought they are!

6. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Cheri perhaps you already have a plan for rehydrating.

If not or if you want to try something else, I have been using Ultra Soft Relaxer from Matuska.

We look forward to seeing the mount. :)

7. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

You can cut off the dried-up feet once you get the legs skinned, just like you were going to mount them separate, and then drop them into a salt brine or a pickling solution. Stick them in the fridge for as long as it takes - even if it's a week or more - and they will be ready to inject and paint.
    You can also inject them with water to make them soften up immediately, but then you will have many little holes (also know as leaks.)

8. I usually wrap the feet in wet paper towels for a day or so just enough to soften them up enough to stick a needle in them and inject hot soapy water into them.Fingers crossed.Thanks for the suggestions!

9. hop

hop Member

They are huge, but G. immer can be big too.
    think it s a young one in winter (like this one)

Attached Files:

10. Hers's (Gavia arctica) in winter plumage. Hope will be helpful with it
    Greetings
    Tom

Attached Files: