1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Has anyone done a ligament mount?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by btr, Mar 25, 2016.

1. btr

btr Member

Hello,

I've got a small veiled chameleon I was thinking of trying this on, esp the method with straight 3% hydrogen peroxide.

http://theboneman.com/Oxidization.html

Any thoughts?

2. Better use dermestids. I cleaned small stuff like crocodile hatchlings this way.
    Remove the skin, entrails and large muscles. Dry to jerky condition. Put in a small container with beetles and NO substrate, so you won't lose the bones.
    The outcome is pretty much like ligamentary mount. If the specimen is dry enough, beetles wouldn't dismember the joints.
    Degrease in acetone. Whiten in peroxide & alcohol mix (alcohol helps to preserve remaining soft tissues)

Reptiles are tricky to clean by hand, and smaller/younger ones tend to have more delicate bones. Plain peroxide softens them up, making more likely to be damaged.

3. btr

btr Member

Unfortunately, I don't have beetles....

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As above. Get some beetles. They are easy enough to obtain and a small colony of them can easily be kept in a 10 gallon glass tank. A small lizard like that will be dissolved by the peroxide. That method works for adult small mammals and birds. Even the information on that page states that with some specimens they were damaged and the results were poor. Even with the beetles, you have to watch them and remove the skeleton before it is eaten as well.

5. btr

btr Member

Thanks for the advice you all...