1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Five shows, same weekend March 2017

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Kathy, Mar 30, 2016.

1. In our Breakthrough Calendar of Events, I already have FIVE associations that are all planning shows for the same weekend, March 18–19, 2017.
    These are Michigan, Utah, South Dakota, Illinois, and Indiana. I predict some serious scratching and clawing to secure judges and instructors!

2. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

and vendors as well.

3. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

A couple of weeks ago there were EIGHT events at the same time. On March 19th, 2016, you could have attended the Pennsylvania Taxidermy Championships, the Michigan Taxidermist Association, the NEAT Hands-On Seminar, the California Association of Taxidermists, the South Dakota Taxidermist Association, the Kansas Association of Taxidermists, the Utah Taxidermist Association, and the Association of Indiana Taxidermists.

4. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

We at Indiana have had our show in the 3 week of March for ever. If we lose the spot we may not get it back so we sign a timely contract. Every time Pennsylvania changes there dates every body scrambles to change there show dates, we decided not to worry about it. We have had our shows at the same time for the last two or three years, and we still have a great show and lots of venders.

5. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

You would think that Association Know how to look at schedules and define when to have it taking in consideration other associations and their time slots. Utah has moved theirs in 2016 to March 3rd weekend when they used to be the end of Feb. Pennsylvania used to be the first weekend of March but have moved theirs to the 3rd weekend of March in 2016. Without putting a spread sheet out there for everyone just look at below when conventions are held by the numbers.... That's crazy "Why is March" such a big deal???

The following have had more shows in the 3rd weekend of March for at least 5 years.....
    Michigan
    Kansas
    S. Dakota
    Virginia
    California
    Indiana

Utah was in the past the end of Feb..... (moved to March)
    Illinois was the 2nd weekend of March generally (Moved to 3rd weekend of March)
    and Pennsylvania was the 1st weekend of March......

Now Look at the Year for 2016 .... Tell me what is it with March......
    1 conventions in Jan. for 2016
    5 conventions in Feb. for 2016
    15 conventions in March for 2016
    6 conventions in April for 2016
    3 conventions in May for 2016
    7 conventions in June for 2016
    3 conventions in July for 2016
    1 conventions in Aug for 2016

6. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

I know our by laws (Kansas) state its for the last full weekend in March, avoiding Easter (it fall in March on occasion). This year we were held hostage to the dates we could get open. We also have to worry about securing a spot. Our next two years will be March 24-26, 2017 (4th weekend) and March 23-25, 2018 (4th weekend) in Manhattan, KS.

7. bowmantax

bowmantax New Member

We used to have the ks show in June and all the other states were moving in around then so we moved to march. Like cory said it is in our bylaws to have our show in march and it is very hard to change that so we dont worry how many shows move in around our time frame. We have had and especially this year always an excellent show with this years being one of our biggest and only one supplier too. The KAT doesnt worry about it and we have our show anyway. So if you are looking for some place new to try check us out. I dont think you will be disapointed.

8. joeps

joeps Active Member

Our show ( PA) dates had to move because the facility had events booked before we could book them, now we are signed 3 years out and will be moving back to our original March dates

9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

This is just one of the reasons I enjoy having our MO show in August. No competition for suppliers or judges. That is just one of the reasons we had 22 vendors at last year's show.

10. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I learned a long time ago while involved with NY state show, just how hard it was to schedule the yearly convention. It was easy, just pick a date everyone will like.

Hahaha, Ok, back to reality...it was tough, because May is graduation, June is wedding season, followed closely by July, and sometimes august, so it was tough scheduling with the host hotel. Then theres kids in school, spring break, and that includes the judges, instructors and suppliers kids in school or spring break. Not to mention the obvious overlaps in show schedules. In the north you also have to be mindful of the weather for travel. August vacations for the north, August school starts for the south, and by September many hunting seasons are started already.

Nothing to it.

11. joeps

joeps Active Member

Your right Bill nothing to it , one thing with our PA show we don't hurt for vendors routinely 30-40 vendors every year , I don't think we have had less than 25 , our members like the March date

12. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

wow Joe, even the 25 would be a nice turn out. I agree, March seems to work best.

13. As for Michigan, our show is in conjunction with a big sport show. Mid March for the last 30 plus years.

14. Southern Regional has been in March since I can remember all the way back into the early 1980's. I use to go to the Kansas show but the March dates are difficult for me. But thats fine. It is up to me to figure out the show schedules.

We taxidermist must figure out which shows we can make it to.

Funny thing about the SRTC it seems to snow or ice every time.

15. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Michigan is tied in with a very large Sport, Fishing and RV show that is the same week every year. We are paid to be a part of the show and all of our space and needs are paid for. AND at the end of the show we are handed a check for the association. And Kurt is correct that it has been over 30 years.