1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Habitat rock question

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by bowmantax, Mar 30, 2016.

1. bowmantax

bowmantax New Member

Might seem like a dumb question but I have never used this product yet but I am wanting to. I have seen lots of life size mounts with this product that look like the area of foot attachment is to small to access from underneath to put a nut on the bolt or the rock area is high up and away from the base to access from through the underside of base/pedistal. My question is how do you guys do it to get the animal bolted down. Do you cut a small hidden access hole in the rock or something else. I am confused on that part and I watched the youtube videos and none of them went over that part.

2. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

First, you will never look back after you use it! Second, you make the dimensions any size you want, with whatever room you desire. Build a wood frame, cover frame with the rock, cut access where you can hide it.
    That being said, do yourself another favor and switch to square tubing for your attachments. Slide it in and go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. bowmantax

bowmantax New Member

Sounds like that is probably the best way and I will just have to get a welder then to weld square tubing onto the end of the threaded rod or order a form without rods and weld up square tubing and foam into the legs

4. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Yep. You can get by with a 110 flux core welder for all but the biggest mounts (even large mounts if you have skills)
    I weld mine over the rods. Quick and easy. I prefer to pose legs with rods already in. Cut out foam and bend at joints. This keeps the bone lengths correct, and speeds up the process for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

3/8" all thread will slide into 1/2" square tubing

6. I use nipples (threaded pipe)and flanges from the hardware store. No welding needed. . [​IMG]

7. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

super tip John, and easy to apply

8. Thank you Jerry, I ve been doing it this way for 20 plus years, it works great.

9. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I just don't mess with it and order the form without rods. When it get here I put in the rods I want where I want them and heat and bend them to fit. Dremel grooves for the rods on the inside of the legs and foam over them. Never had a problem. JL

10. czykdbcz

czykdbcz Artist or just crazy

va
    Build your self a rough base with 2X4"s and bust the panels and screw it randomly together fill all of your cracks, paint and your done this stuff is super you can creat an amazing base with out any thought it just come together..

11. Syms1919

Syms1919 Member

You can also build a rock to cover an access hole if you have too, when done screw your rock on and cover screw holes with lichen and or moss