1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2016 Spring turkey hunts

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by bucksnort10, Apr 2, 2016.

1. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Guess I will start the thread this year. Please add photos/stories of your turkey hunts this spring.

I had the opportunity to take out a youth this spring for learn to hunt turkey. I went with a 12 year old boy from Pulaski, Wisconsin. It was a great experience. My hunter shot a turkey this morning, 9-1/2" beard and around 3/4" long spurs. Didn't think someone could have a grin from ear to ear, but he did right after the shot. Awesome.

Attached Files:

2. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

Congrats he looks very happy. :)

3. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

Been tough here. Had two young kids youth weekend and we had several blown opportunities.

Yesterday we put out my strutter and got a show.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sure love our rios.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

brazosboyt Nice bird congrats.

5. bucksnort10

It is always sweet to see the kids with their birds. Congrats.
    Your strutter looks nice. I tried one a couple of years ago and didn't have much luck. Perhaps that says something about my taxi ability . . . :)

6. Hunted the Rosebud Rez in SD last weekend and my son and I shot 4 birds. One on Sat and then these 3 on Sun am. Fun trip!

Bruce

Attached Files:

7. Birds Only

Birds Only Member

My opening weekend
    Saturday's bird [​IMG]
    Sunday's bird [​IMG]

8. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

Another one bites the dust.
    [​IMG]

Love the differences in our rios.
    [​IMG]

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    A couple of Mn public ground birds
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. bowmantax

bowmantax New Member

Opening morning of ks shotgun season. 30 minute hunt. [​IMG]

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I killed a confused bird opening day on Friday. It had one spur and two beards. One was 9 3/4" and the other was 8". The spur was 1 1/2".

12. DL

DL Well-Known Member

We watched this guy come from a mile away on this road I'm on. Sounded like a Jake but wasn't. Fun watching him come running a lot of the way. Started out working on one around 75 yds below me. Never did see him. Pretty sure he had a hen. Heard a wing flap once. Never would come up to see us. So when this guy came I just rotated around the tree and planted my backside on a nice thistle plant.

[​IMG]

13. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

Last couple weeks were just dead but I bet I had 20 birds gobbling Friday morning. Smacked one with unique white Spurs with black tips.
    [​IMG]

Called in 4jakes, then 3 jakes.

Then had 3 big toms on a rope at 60 yards and a coyote blew them up served him a load of 6s.

Called in another Tom to 35 yards. Spitting and drumming behind a big cedar and then 4 Jakes ran in and chased him off. Kept them gobbling at 15 yards for 10 min and notta. Smacked 7 hogs too with the drilling. 6 with buckshot and 1 with the 9.3. X 74.

[​IMG]

14. spurhunter

spurhunter Active Member

SC
    Limit dropped to three here this year. Turkeys a little thin but called in 20 different jakes so coming seasons should be good. Only other excitement was whooping a 52" timber rattler with a hickory pole.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. bucksnort10

From this morning's hunt.
    22#, 10" beard, 1" spurs.

Attached Files:

16. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

2 more let me ugly get the best of em yesterday. One more weekend left.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11 and 11.5" beards.