1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

walleye reproduction

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Shooterschoice, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Shooterschoice

Shooterschoice work is for people who dont fish

so i have a question, i have watched just about every single dvd on paint walleye reproduction. But i can not get the fish to look like theirs depth to it, Just looks like paint on a fish shaped piece of fiberglass. And the head Does anyone have a trick for making the gold spots on the head. I have tried ricks away bill leaches way and they just turn out crappy every time. And the bright scales on the side I am using yellow ocher but the scales just are don't pop. when i use candy bright yellow or candy golden yellow it just looks like paint. Most of the colors i use are candy colors. any tips or anything material that you think will help. I have ricks video which when i use it the overall color looks great but the brighter scales and head still look crappy.

2. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to say use this as reference, but I think this head came out pretty darn good. All I used for the gold was Sunset Gold on a small brush, and worked it into my wormy markings. Having said that, this is the first walleye I've ever done that I was happy with. Took a lot of experimenting and tinkering over the years.
    [​IMG]

Here's another shot closer up
    [​IMG]

3. Shooterschoice

that looks pretty close to perfect. great job on that, did you do the same for the scales?

4. Jimmy Lawrence

Yes sir. And thanks.

5. JonHaun

JonHaun New Member

That looks fantastic !!!!

6. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Photos look good. Did you paint your own eyes? how did you get the tiny black dots to show like that?

7. Jimmy Lawrence

I took existing lenses, and removed all the paint and painted my own. I customized the back of them, and made them so they only reflect when light is shown into it. Pretty sweet I thought. Really added some depth to the overall piece.

The stippling is just done with an airbrush. Thanks for the comments.

Jimmy

Attached Files:

8. nice work as always jimmy.

9. Absolutely amazing work.

It's guys like you that make me feel like an idiot after finishing one and thinking, "man, that looks alright."

10. taxidermyfreak

taxidermyfreak ***RIP DAD & JONNY***

it does not get better than that great work!!!!!!!

11. I know what you mean, in regards to a lack of depth. What I've tried lately was working more on my skin "texture" and tones. I start out with a generic antique, using a stipple tip in my airbrush (black umber paint). I seal that. I then use a scrap of rag and acrylic paint (the kind that comes in a tube or small bottle). I mix some brown, green, and black together, keeping in mind that it will dry a shade darker than what my eyes pick up in the wet paint. I blot/wipe the paint of over most of the fish, excluding the belly and underside of the head. I do this quickly, and before it begins to dry I rinse my rag scrap and get it pretty wet. I then blot over the fish again, thinning the paint in some areas, giving the fish a mottled look. It looks pretty crappy at this point. I then use a combination of q-tips and cosmetic applicators dipped in isopropyl alcohol to clean the markings along the body and head. I then mist the fish with a gold pearl. After that I use a charcoal vine to go back over the areas I did not clean off with the q-tips. I can vary the intensity depending upon how the light picks up the gold pearl. Then I diffuse the charcoal with a fine brush. I suppose you could do this with a detail airbrush, but I think it might take just as long if not longer. Also, I like the specs that I get with the charcoal. I then go over yellow spots on the body and head with a combination of Liquid scale golds, pearlex gold powders, and or candy yellows with my airbrush. After that I start putting on my paynes gray, coco browns, black umber, etc fading from the back down. This takes awhile, but to me it had more depth than the ways I've previously done it. Perhaps, this will give you some ideas to try. However, take my input with a grain of salt. According to some, I'm just another arrogant fool from [email protected]$k nowhere...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Shooterschoice

that does have awesome depth, I'm definitely going to try some of it. Thank you very much

13. dougp

dougp Active Member

Geez....you guys! How far you have brought our artistry!! Outstanding!!

14. buckman170

buckman170 Member

My hats off to both of you, just amazing fish guys!

15. Jimmy Lawrence

outdoorzman is super awesome. i wish he didn't have those pesky contracts, and could share more of his amazing work. love it.

16. dougp

dougp Active Member

You've been hitting some home runs yourself Jimmy! Great job!

17. JE

JE Well-Known Member

I have my first Zander to do (European Walleye equivalent) and if it turns out half as good as either Outdoorzman or Jimmys I will be happy !
    John

18. There's no "like" button, but I agree!