1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Neck Size?

Discussion in 'Forum Operations' started by NCFHunter, Apr 3, 2016.

1. NCFHunter

NCFHunter New Member

I know this will be a silly question, however, I just had my first shoulder mount done and will be picking it up in about 2-3 weeks. When my taxidermist called me, he said that it had a 19-inch neck (unless I misunderstood him). After trying to figure out for myself what that meant exactly, I saw where they have two different measurements for neck circumference. So my question is, which circumference is her referring to, and is there a large difference between them, or am I way off and he is referring to a different place on the neck?

While I do not know if there is a difference between two types, mine in particular, was a whitetail buck.

Again I am new to all of this and it was my first trophy buck. So I am excited and, obviously, will be asking stupid questions. I just want to understand better.

Thank you for any information in advance.

2. Measurement most often quoted is around the neck right behind the ears. In my area (UP of Michigan) 19-20 inches is average, 21-22 is big, and 23-24 and bigger is a monster. Thats a November deer.

3. NCFHunter

NCFHunter New Member

This was late Nov, in southern North Carolina.The rut season was really weird this year, because it was so warm.