1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

When to jump into the Masters

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by rbear, Apr 5, 2016.

1. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I have been competeting for 16 years now. Started in the professional division. I have 11 second and third ribbins and 8 blue. I was looking at them today and wondering when I should jump into the Masters. I decided that when I have as many blues as seconds and thirds I would take the leap.
    What made you jump up in class?
    Ralph

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Some state associations require ......

Some state associations require that you move up to the Masters once you receive 2 blues and a Best of Category in a certain category. Every state is different.

Just depends.

:)

Kerby...

3. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I looked it up for Mi. and we have a requirement from novelist to professional but I could not find anything from pro to masters. Thanks Kerby
    Ralph

4. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

I moved up as soon as I could so I could get tougher more detailed critiques. The professional division should just be a step on your way up. I think you need to keep challenging yourself with new and more difficult pieces.

5. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Well-Known Member

I moved up after two best of category's . it was a good move, the only thing is you need to have thick skin and be ready to go backwards with ribbons but have an open mind because it is a more in depth learning curve. I went from two years in a row best of category to third , 2 seconds and last year finally a blue :). Masters is a whole new learning experience for me, and yes i'm glad i made the jump and 2017 i will be making the jump again.

go for it, remember it is about learning not the ribbons.

6. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

If you are consistently blue in a category it would be good to move up in that category. Our show is lenient to the point that you need 2 BOC in a category before you are forced up. In my case I did not find much of a change going into Masters but it depends on the category.

7. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

When I won a best of category I moved up. I think I prob had two blues before I moved up. it took a couple years to get a blue in masters, but I am finally getting there.

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I think most people know when they are ready for the move. It wasn't about ribbons or BOC's for me, it was about competing against the very best. Once I was comfortable with how competitions worked, and had an idea what judges were looking for, I moved into masters. The biggest difference is, you don't get away with anything. One mistake will cost you a blue ribbon, and two will cost you a red. That is just how it works at that level.

9. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your replies. There is allot to think about. Hearing other peoples story on why and when they moved up is intoresting to me. I will stick with my plan and hopefully in a year or two I will move up.
    Ralph

10. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

How about when you are a master ? Can you skin it, tan it, make your own form, cast your own parts, mount it, finish it, make your own base, and produce a nice clean piece, all without help? Than you are a master. I know you don't have to do all that according to the rules , but they all can help you get to the top and gain you extra points at times. I say step up and take a few bumps and bruises and don't look back. That's quite a pile of ribbons and there's a good chance you're already doing a lot of that stuff. The biggest difference is from one show to the next. Some are just easier and tougher than others. That's my view. Just do it !

11. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Thanks Brian. Yes I have done all that and perfer to do the whole shooting match for a competition piece. Next years piece is started with a body cast form and dental acrylic mouth cup. I know I have the knowledge to pull it off but don't know that I have the technical experience. I appreciate your words of encouragement.
    Ralph

12. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Just as a comparison. From what I've seen at many state shows, a lows 80s masters piece would win best in category pro most times.

13. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Here in N.M. you are required to move up after 2 blues or 1 BOC. I have only been doing taxidermy and competing for 6 years and have received a BOC in Game heads, reproductions, birds, and large lifesize. Do I believe that I'm in the same class as the true masters here in New Mexico, hell no I don't but I'm giving it my best every year in the masters. Iv been fortunate to get six 2nd places so far and got real close with an 89 last year on my wife's elk. I'm only a part timer so I'm not mounting and getting that experience on a daily basis. Heck this year I'm taking a Gemsbok and it's been 3 years since the last one I worked on.

14. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

See ya at the ......

Geno, see ya at the NM show in a couple of weeks.

:)

Kerby...

15. Major

Major New Mexico.....Not much different than the old one

Geno, You're light years beyond where you should be with the amount of work you have done. I'm glad you aren't full time because you'd put the rest of us out of business!

Kerby, see you soon!

16. Instructor

Instructor Member

Very well put Geno! I consider you one of the best to ever come along in such a short Time.Keep up the Great work!

17. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Thanks Manny and Robert for the kind words, it means a lot to me to have learned all I know from both you all. Im just thankful that you were willing to help a rookie out .
    Alright we got Kerby coming to NM. Can't wait to meet you and see your awesome work.