1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Paint color for deer noses...

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by HunterArchery, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Are you sure that nose is black, because if it were I shouldn't be able to make it "blacker".

Attached Files:

2. OK - so it's not REALLY completely ALL black - but it sure isn't like a Battleship Grey either!

3. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Make sure the color reference photos you're looking at are taken in good, bright lighting, then you'll see the true color there. The noses are a dark grey with fleshy tones underneath. Without good lighting, the noses in the photos will look black or too dark.

4. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

I think the real issue is that most customers believe its black and its really hard to talk them out of that. Afterall, when they see it awhile after shooting it most likely appears black to them and that's how they remember it. Yes you can educate them with photos and explanations but the first time their "buddy" tells them its wrong they will forget everything you told and showed them. Sometimes you have to give the customer what they picture, not what it was. Kinda Like a snarling attacking 150 pound black bear.

15pt and Richard C like this.
  5. I agree. I bet I would be hard pressed to convince a customer even showing them pics of real, alive deer that a deer's nose ISN'T truly ALL black as well.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    R. J. That is a pretty true statement, but I'll be damned if I am going to let a deer go out my door with a nose that is only painted with black. Now I can shade a nose to appear almost black, at a customer's request, but only after enlightening them to the truth and they still insist it to be black.

7. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Same here. Wouldn't put my name on a deer mount with a black nose. If the customers want to be willfully ignorant, that's their problem.

8. Genie

Genie Member

Good point RJ.. The customer (and his hunting buds) has an idea what they think a nose should look like - black. The same goes for pinkish/flesh ears. It's not a color they saw even when they first walked up on the deer after shooting it. And neither of these nose and ear colors show up in the Field & Stream magazine.

9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Since 1989 literally thousands of whitetails have went out the door here, and never once has a customer complained about the color of the nose pad. Also, never once was that nose painted black. I can only assume that if clients are complaining, then the color of the nose isn't correct.

10. Well gentleman I agree with that – to a point. The problem is is you know giving the customer what they want or they think they want. For example just recently had a friend that's a taxidermist who mounted a beautiful fish for a client. Client came and picked up the fish so they were extremely happy with it, loved it, and then proceeded to go home and bash this taxidermist all over Facebook on what a poor job he did painting this fish and proceeded to bash him all over Facebook over it. Naturally he contacted the client and offered to repaint it or redo it for free to their satisfaction and see if you could make them happy with it. They declined.
    So well you're right that a deer head of course wouldn't be a normal he is a solid black as we know I can already see a comment that if I didn't put at least some black into a deer Lowes along with gray and even some flesh tones underneath to make it truly realistic, I bet I would have clients coming back to me saying so.
    Or bashing me behind my back and as you know word-of-mouth can be a dealbreaker in business today.. I know I was a tattoo artist for many years and even though 99.9% of the time you if somebody exactly what they want asked for there is always that .1% or 0.1% that won't be happy.

11. 8Point

8Point Member

My opinion is that they all are different. It also seems that the part of the country and time of year alters the visible color. Winter vs summer. WI vs TX. But I don't have a deer farm either. I just look at a lot of pics. The only thing that I do know is that I've seen a lot of live photos of deer that probably wouldn't place that high in a taxidermy competition a cording to what I've seen. Wierd ear but shape. Odd hair patterns. No bottom lip showing. Odd eye shape. Etc.... Deer are all different.

12. Gary A

Gary A N. West Taxidermy 208-404-9706

Yup! Good post

13. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

HunterArchery,

No matter what you do or how hard you try you will NEVER satisfy 100% of your customers. They will find issues with your prices, the position of the ears, the form not having enough turn, the form having to much of a turn, there expectation of turn around time. Customers will complain and convince themselves that there capes have been swapped out because of the faint double throat patch that miraculously appeared. Of course they forget the deer was caked in mud and blood when they brought it to you so the patch doesn't show in any of there photos. They will complain when you call them after thawing there deer to tell them that there cape is to short, even though there friend who has skinned hundreds of deer told him it was done right. They will complain if you don't accept Credit cards. They will complain about the time you take off to hunt instead of working on there mount.

Your better off doing your thing and letting the customers weed themselves out. You will drive your self ragged trying to please all of them and you will not succeed. There is a difference between good Customer Service and working and stressing yourself ragged for no reason.

14. Thanks. Yes I agree with that statement. I am a retired tattoo artist and now a RN - so I go know what it is like having to deal with the public sector! Defiantly not fun.
    I am only planning on going mounts for myself for fun and enjoyment and perhaps my cousin or such as well.

15. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Good summery of being a taxi ; Michell Nelson`s Taxidermy . :D

16. The truth be spoken there !
    I am a deer farmer , ever deer in the pen is different. Enough we know each of them by sight not tags.
    Quick examples one buck has a under bite. His bottom lip is a inch under it cant be seen unless he raise his head to the sky. One doe holds her bottom lip protruding most of the time. She looks as if she has a dip of skoal in here lip. Some of them look big bug eyed others small eyes. Same with nose pads. Use to have one buck whose nose pad was white half way up.
    But I dont have one single deer that looks like he has been pumping weights and taking steroids.

Lance.G likes this.
  17. LOL! Love it! Thanks everyone for the feedback in the ideas I now see what you're all talking about and mean.

18. Luke Modelevsky

Luke Modelevsky New Member

What do you use for the eyes

19. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Personal experience...I used Yox nosepad gray once, darkened it a little, and everyone that had a deer already hanging on the wall called and complained...their other deer had black noses. When they bought them back, I oversprayed them all to black. Every nose leaving my shop since has been black.

20. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I use 3 sometimes 4 colors - Flesh, Yox nose pad gray, sometimes a touch of burnt umber, then a dusting of black. I get a very good natural look. Yox Nose pad Gray works well in a number of other applications as well, especially as a transition color blending from a lighter to a darker color. I probably use more of that color than any other.