1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Having trouble getting horns off the core

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by tmpatton22, Apr 10, 2016.

1. I am having the hardest time getting some Corsican and Catalina horns off the cores. I tried letting them sit in my shed in a garbage back for awhile that didn't work. I tried hanging them in the sun in a black garbage bag for 3-4 weeks that didn't work, I tried freezing them and then thawing them out a couple times that didn't work, I tried boiling them for a few hours that didn't work, then I drilled some small holes on the back sides of the horns and boiled them again and that didn't work either. I don't know what else to try but I am certainly open for suggestions. Thanks. Have a great day.

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Wet them real good, cut around the bottom of horn as best as you can and bag. The moisture helps break down the tissue. Never had one not come off. Do they at least move? Were they fresh when you started or were they dried on old horn?

3. Paul to answer your questions they were fresh kills when I caped them out, and they are not moving at all. When you say to cut around the bottom of the horn I'm assuming that you mean to run a knife between the horn and the core, is this correct? I will give this a try this week. Thanks for the tip.

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Yes, I use a small paring knife to get between the horn and core as best as you can. Be careful, a slip and your going to need a Band-Aid. The Catalina should be easier to come off, those rams are a bit harder but will pop. Twist them after a few weeks of being bagged, should start to loosen by then.

5. I've used a rubber mallet on dried horn to remove them from sun bleached skull, may be worth a bang or two.

6. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

X2 on the mallet. You need one if you are going to be doing many of those. Otherwise bagging and making sure they stay moist. Pull them out and give them some good whacks every other day. Don't be afraid to hit them good.

7. Thanks for the tips guys, I have a rubber mallet guess I'll have to break it out.

8. I use beetles to clean out the tissue on all my horns. Takes about two days and they come right off. I've heard some guys say they will eat the horns. Very simple to keep them from touching the horn. You just have to be smarter then the beetles.

woakley144 likes this.