1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rodent Ears

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by MooseFriend, Apr 11, 2016.

1. MooseFriend

MooseFriend Just a moose from Canada, eh?

Hello!

So, I know it's advised to turn ears on skins, but for rodents who have very small and thin ears, do you do the same? Do you turn them also, or do you prop them up and let them dry?

I have two giant rats I got as frozen feeders (foot long, sans tail. Huge!) And I tried to turn one of the rats' ears. It didn't go too terribly, really, but I was wondering if this is what should be done with teeny tiny rodent ears so I know what to do for the second one - and any smaller rodents in the future.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I turn grey squirrel and up.

3. MooseFriend

Do you line them (if yes, with what?) or do you just prop them up and let them dry?

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I make an Apoxie Sculpt earliner. I just put it in the ear and shape it and that's it.

5. Don't turn the ears, use a small piece of heavy duty aluminum foil to hold the shape of the ear til it's dry, this keeps it from curling up. I do this on all my squirrel ears, it works great

elektroyu likes this.
  6. MooseFriend

Ah, interesting! I guess it depends on how big the little ears are, then. Thanks!

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

The squirrel man John David Ellzey just pinches the ears a few times a day until the dry and that works fine for him.
    The aluminum foil trick is something that I never thought of. That would work real well for rats and squirrels and is something that I will try, that is, if I ever do one again.

8. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

It actually has little to do with the size of the ear. It's just that the larger the ear is the more shrinkage you will notice. All the methods mentioned are acceptable. You just get more shrinkage when you don't turn and fill. Try different ways and see what you like.

9. Skin Deep

Skin Deep Member

USA
    I cut up a milk jug to the size on one side and the other i put some poster board for earliners. You can shape the plastic by heating it up with a lighter. I learned that trick from someone on the fourm ;D!

10. bowelk

bowelk Member

I turn all my ears as well. Ladies fake finger nails work nicely in small mounts, and are easily trimmed with scissors to fit.