1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

cutting legs off foam form

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by byrdman, Apr 11, 2016.

1. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried cutting legs off of a foam form and replacing them with wrapped legs for easier assembly and more freedom with posing.I have a form that I had made without leg rods and am thinking of cutting rods to length of ea leg bone,wrapping onto a wire,then wrapping excel or cotton batting to form legs.then legs can be fitted into skin and form slid into place and bondo leg wires into foam.Did I mention it was case skun.Dont want to sew up and make dorsal cut so thought I would give it a try.Have done it with large birds,cranes and geese,and with smaller animals with wrapped bodies and legs wrapped over actual leg bones.Only thing is I don't have leg bones,just the foam legs for a guide.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Never done it with wrapped legs but often do it with the foam legs from the form. It does allow for easier assembly. I' can't see why it can't be done, it will just take some test fitting,

3. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Always good to try new stuff. If you're not sure of the final position you'll just have to wrap the muscles in a bit more of a generic shape as I did with the folding legs on a few of my forms. Kind of a one shape does all , if that makes sense. The foam legs you cut off should be a close guide if you're not changing the pose drastically. How big of animal you talking about ?

4. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Skunk

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have done it with squirrels and it went well, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work, especially if you do as Brian suggested and use the cut off foam legs as guides.

6. byrdman

close DL...skunk bear.....aka wolverine

7. rlbrown

rlbrown Member

whats the best adhesve to re attach cut of foam limbs

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Many use Bondo, hide paste, gorilla glue and or screws, just to name a few.

9. byrdman

yup bondo..drill hole into form ....fill with bondo....run wire loop from leg into bondo...done.......after modifying the form I decided to use the rear legs as-is (after altering them to match) being that my skin is cased....also re-worked the front legs and am planning to use them detached from form......what a pain.....this was a hundred dollar form from research by the Denver museum...assume it was inchumuk? all 4 feet were at different level and legs didn't match as to bone length......needed form to be standing on flat base.

10. byrdman

customer had specific pose,this is the form as it came from supplier...had it poured with no leg rods

Attached Files:

11. byrdman

after alterations.......front legs are loose to be bonded in as skin is put on

Attached Files:

12. byrdman

slight head turn also

Attached Files:

13. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

That pose make it look like it's taking a dump!

14. byrdman

its based from customers pic and wolverines are actually "squat" critters

15. I like it........