1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish carving foam

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by whitetails and fish only, Apr 14, 2016.

1. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

I have been carving a few fish bodies lately and when I'm doing this I always wonder what affect, if any, the foam dust has on the human body. I always wear a dust mask but I don't know if that is sufficient? I would like to know what other people out there think. Thank you.

2. DavidsonT

DavidsonT Member

I have carved over 8 thousand fish bodies over the last 30 years with no ill effects that I know of.i have never worn a mask,if I could start over I would defiantly wear a mask,my sinuses went bye bye a long time ago.

3. keep the foam damp and it just falls and does not float in the air.. i usually spray it down make my cuts with a knife spray it again before sanding and its fine..
    cant be healthy to breath ANY kind of dust..

4. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

I could always breath better through a respirator than those dust masks so i use a respirator when carving ..I think it was Bill Yox that said on here a long time ago, that anything that goes in your lungs and doesn't come back out cant be good lol

5. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

Wonder if the stuff Rick Krane sells still makes dust in the air ? Any one know?

6. Maineiac36

Maineiac36 Active Member

Rick's foam is far less dusty than any other carving foam I have used!

7. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Use the same method to sand the foam as painting. Sand in front of the vent fan.....problem solved.

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Damn never thought of that! You're pretty smart for a republican you know that! :)

9. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I sand foam over a five gallon bucket filled with water. I use wet/dry sand paper and continually just do it in the water and continue sanding. Works great

10. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Speaking of fans and I know you can relate to this Cecil. You know we moved into a log home like yours and we are finishing the basement w a complete studio for me. The guy helping me with the ventilation was grumbling a little bit the other night trying to drill through 6 inches of wood twice for the ducts.....lol.

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Oh yeah! Chain saw is easier than a hole saw! Had a contractor put in a door in the back wall that way to our spa and exercise room. He made a mess but the chain saw worked quickly.

12. Brian W

Did the same thing here too cutting an opening for the breezeway/mud room leading to the attached garage. Got some good video of it too.

13. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

What is it with fish guys and log homes?

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

It was my wife's idea! At least that's what I say when I have to maintain it on the outside.

15. You can get by with a small shop vacuum, but its not going to last long.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/20-x-40-Benchtop-Downdraft-Table/W1733A?utm_campaign=zPage

While the blue or orange styro foam is not back that tristan and the urethane feels like cockle burs in your eye.
    I dont know and really dont think the dust is much problem with your lungs if you are health. I have a collapsed diaphragm and it can give me pneumonia pretty easily in the winter as I cant hack up the dust.

16. Brian W

Like Cecil stated, it was my wife's idea too. We downsized from a 3400 sq foot brick home we built in 96 to the current 2200 sf log home built in 03. We went from 10 acres to just over three but with a designated trout creek that runs through the entire property. We own on both sides of the creek.
    There's a screened- in porch in the back (open porch in the front) that runs the entire length of the home and overlooks the sloped property down to the creek. Beautiful piece of property. I can see fish running upstream from there at times and with the windows open at night, can hear the creek as it riffles over the rocks. Cold, cold creek that is known for the fishing. The prior owner bought it because he was an avid fly fisherman. He had passed away and his wife, after a year, decided it was time to sell it.
    Amazing property we found and the day my wife saw it, we put a bid on it the next day when it hit the market. In her words: "I have to have this house!"..lol. (we had been looking though). All the logs to build it came from TN and it was a surgeon's secondary residence who spared no expense in building it. The craftsmanship of the beams inside blow me away. Beautiful stone work on the fireplace, outside back wall and the chimney. It's got an up North on vacation feel to us. If you ever get down my way Paul, I will show you.
    I've been standing in the creek trimming brush and have had a few nice steelhead almost hit my boots as they went by, so I'm anxious to see what we can get for the opener this weekend.
    Missed you at the show this year too. Sorry to hear about your dog and hope things are well for you guys............

17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Paul did you lose your dog you have posted here before? Sorry to hear about that. I've had a few pass on me and it breaks me up for a while.

Brian,

Sounds great. Hope you don't have to deal with trespassers. That can be really irritating.

18. Brian W

Yeah.....that has been a minor problem already but I do have it posted pretty heavy and I think the word is getting out (usually its the local people that were used to trespassing) that it is occupied 100% of the time now and not 2 months out of the year.
    I don't see it as being a problem but it is across the road from a Nature Park and Nature trail. I have two dogs that don't miss a beat either so that helps.
    My wife and I planted 53 pines this past weekend (mostly saplings). There is a very scenic drop probably some 80 foot down to the creek at one point where I'm putting a bench or gazebo. Most of the property is a gradual slope you can easily walk up or down to the creek. Told my wife, was thinking of putting up a zip line that would cross the creek....lol. Would be very cool. You can come see it anytime if you ever get in the area.......

19. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Gazebo on a trout stream? Yuk!

20. Brian W

Huh?.....you'd have to see the property to know what I'm talking about. It wouldn't be close to the stream at all just an awesome view some 80 feet up and 50/60 yards (where the creek actually meets the land) away way up on a hill. Would be a beautiful spot. That's a strange comment Cecil.