1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bird and fish judge

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by joker, Apr 16, 2016.

1. I am looking for someone that is interested in judging Birds and fish at the Kentucky Taxidermy assoceation. convention July 29 thru 31, 2016 You can PM me if you are interested or know someone who is. Kurt Ainsworth

2. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

Hi Kurt,
    I know in the past in Indiana we had Mike Orthober do fish and birds. He is accomplished in both.

Todd B

3. We had him a couple years ago. Yes he is great for both.

4. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

Mike O great choice That is who i was thinking of.

5. Maybe try Casey waterson and Brian Banbury

6. Taxiserv

Taxiserv James Newport

Be very careful Joker!!!
    There are tons of "Rogue Judges" out there!!!
    HaHa

7. jakecs

jakecs Member

X2 on Mike Orthober, he will do a great job on both

8. nate

nate Active Member

Cory Caruthers does fish and birds

9. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

Almost certainly too late to get Orthober. I talked to him last summer about coming to Nebraska, he's booked up, we got him penciled in for 2018 tho!

10. Terry Weick is a good fish and bird judge too

11. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    Hi Kurt,
    Here's a thought I believe worth considering for recruiting a judge/s. No one knows birds and fish better than accomplished wood carvers and bird and fish painters. (Bob Berry, carver and painter extrordinaire.) With or without a modicum of actual taxidermy experience, the top carvers and painters can be shown to have studied their subjects intimately - perfectly evident in their works. Look at the works of duck and trout stamp competitors and winners.
    Taxidermy is an art. It seems logical then that a qualified artist is capable of judging subject matter in his specialty whether flat art or 3-D. I hired Don Malick, a bird artist and background painter from the Denver Museum to judge birds at the first TR convention back in '76. His knowledge and credentials as a bird painter were impeccable.
    In addition, it might just be what competitions need to refresh everyone's thinking on judging pieces in an "art" competition. But expect resistance to such a notion. People who don't think out of the box hate change. But that's how progress is made. Talk the idea over with Tom Durant, associated with the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh. Google him if you can't find a phone number. That's my two cents worth. Good luck.

12. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

I seen in the Breakthrough books, never use artists or painters for reference, so how would an artist make a good judge

13. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    Think about what you just wrote.
    What exactly did you "see" in Breakthrough books? What did it say? What did you take it to mean?

Discuss it with Kurt. He opened the discussion not I.

14. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

I realize this may not be practical on a state level, but when it comes to the world level where they have three judges, I think it would be very interesting to have, say- a taxidermist, a sculptor/artist, and a wildlife expert (one who has studied and spent a lot of time with live animals). This would make for a great multi faceted assessment. A taxidermist is not always the most knowledgeable about live animals and how they behave, but he/she does know well all the technical things looked for, like drumming and blending fillers. I wouldn't expect a non taxidermist to know about those aspects, but certain individuals could certainly have more knowledge of anatomy or behavior than some taxidermists. I know this is way off topic of the original post, but since we were heading in that direction I figured Id weigh in on that

15. Crab Crazy I think what you may have seen is, "never use an artists PAINTING for reference. Many artists be it sculpting, painting, carving or what ever medium the use are vary adapt in the anatomy. Joe That is a wonderful thought to take in for sure. Some may say an artist is not a taxidermist, but it could also be said some taxidermists are not artists. lol

16. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

Not sure why I never thought of the fish carver as a judge considering we had one years ago in Indiana. Clark Shreibus judged our fish many years ago and the knowledge he shared was great. Not sure if he does birds or not.

Todd B

17. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

Bob Barry is an interesting choice, but some don't know he is also an accomplished Bird Taxidermist.

18. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Terry Weick has done both for our state show and several others.......but so has Mike O

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

I just judged the Quebec show with Terry where he covered fish and fowl. Really good judge.

20. Instructor

Instructor Member

I have Judged with Terry Weick also twice and also with Cory and both are excellent Judges in both fields.