1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Weekend Project

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by dcooper, Apr 18, 2016.

1. dcooper

dcooper Member

Had a customer come in that wanted a whitetail mounted that he shot 7 years ago. I figured no big deal, replacement cape and mount. Well, he showed up with a deer he had mounted 15 to 20 years ago and asked that I remove the plaque but wanted the new deer mounted the same as this. I guess he heats his home with a wood stove which was directly below the deer. The ears were drumming to the point where they were about an inch wide. The shrinkage around the eyes was obviously evident and the nose had absolutely no texture. I thought about rehydrating it to see if it would work but was hesitant due to the overall condition. So instead of trying to rehydrate it, I rebuilt the upper and lower eyelids with epoxy and then textured them with various paints, pastels, etc. Added some eye lashes, filled the ears with caulk, and then cleaned it the best I could. The photo is the before and after, although I had already started to rebuild the nose texture.

Attached Files:

2. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

Nice job, looks 100% better than what you started with.

3. x2 great job...do you have any pics of the progress of the repairs?

4. 100% better

5. dcooper

dcooper Member

Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately I didn't take any in progress photos. I almost didn't take the initial photo, forgot until I had started the nose.

6. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

nothing worse than working on old crappy mounted stuff