1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking for 26x17 Brook Trout Blank - 9.8lbs

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by CCarlson, Apr 19, 2016.

1. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

[​IMG]

Labrador brook trout, Guy brought the fish back and brought it to a taxidermist. The taxidermist lost the skin, and refused to refund the money.

I saw Dave at envision has a 25x16.75 . Anyone know of one that's any closer?

2. jakecs

jakecs Member

Check with Jimmy Lawrence, I heard he was casting some but don't know the sizes

3. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

I don't have one that size. You might be able to find a splake that size, and alter fins, but that's going to be a toughy.

Jimmy

4. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

Thanks for chiming in Jimmy. Yeah, its a pretty unique fish for sure.

5. I would agree with Jimmy; that is going to be a tough one to find. I had to track down a "decent" 24 inch recently, and that was tough! A 26 is a monster! It's probably not a mold that most large suppliers stock, given that they probably don't sell many. I would agree that a modified splake is probably the way to go. You might consider using the tail off one of your brown trout molds and adjusting that, as it doesn't have the deep "v" to it. The rest of the fins on a splake should be fine, I would think (given the circumstances). I doubt the client will be counting fin rays... but you never know ::)

6. DanB

DanB New Member

Use the blank that Dave has and just extend the tail by one inch. Get some thick mylar plastic (Jo-Ann fabrics) then cut to the shape of the tail. Then contact cement the plastic to the existing tail. Rough up the plastic and fin. Take some epoxy smooth or similar product and apply to the back of the whole fin and the plastic only on the front. Smooth out evenly with water. Let it cure. Cut in fin rays with a dremel. Really quick and easy. I do it all the time when the blank is to short.

Dan

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Lost the skin but refused to refund his money? What kind of an assclown would do that?

Wow we have some real pieces of work in this industry. I hope he's taking that basement bandit to small claims court!

8. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

Yeah Cecil, he appearantly did it to others as well. Drugs are a funny thing. As far as I know the state has pulled his license now.

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Wasn't someone in Michigan was it?

10. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Check with McKenzie...they bought Ron Reynold's molds and he may have had one that size. I know he had some big brook trout repros.

11. davewooddell

davewooddell New Member

Have you considered a heavy bodied arctic char? I often thought about making one into a 30-inch brookie.

Attached Files:

• ac31.jpg
      ac31.jpg
      File size:
      107.2 KB
      Views:
  12. DT10Sam

DT10Sam No flow no go!

I would give Rick Krane a call. You never know what he is working on and I saw bookies that size at his shop. Worth a call if you are serious.

Regards
    Sam

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

So Rick is into horse betting now. "Bookies?"

Sorry couldn't resist! :)

14. CCarlson

CCarlson Active Member

HA!

I did look into some splake and artic char. Hadnt found one that matched the proportions of the fish enough for my liking. So far, Dave at envision was by far the closest.

15. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I believe Ron Reynolds tooled up an Arctic Char to reproduce the World Record Brook Trout that was destroyed in a fire. Good luck...JL

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

That fish was a splake anyway! ;D

17. Ok slow down Cecil, by now you should know never take something someone says about a taxidermist keeping something or loosing things.

YOu are calling names of something thats only a rumor is beneath you.

18. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

WTF? ??? You smoking some of that whacky tobacco?