1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Remounting head please help

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by pjhunter17, Apr 20, 2016.

1. pjhunter17

pjhunter17 New Member

What would be the best method to re do the head of this old Squaw? It was gorilla glued to the bill and I just want to re do the head, some clay on the head that's about it. How should I go abut remount the head?

Attached Files:

2. pjhunter17

pjhunter17 New Member

Really could use some advice

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I don't think you are going to get any advice. The marriage line is hosed, and I don't know anything that will remove Gorilla Glue since it's a type of urethane.
    You *might* be able to inject some clear water under the skin of the head and get it so rehydrate enough to where you could inject some latex caulk under the crown, but it might also backfire on you and make things worse.
    If the eyes can be temporarily removed then that might help provide better access, but basically what you have there is a learning experience.

4. pjhunter17

pjhunter17 New Member

It was definitely a learning experience... I will be mounting another one shortly but what would be the best way to get the head right?

5. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

Stay away from gorilla glue. if you did not learn on this one that the glue expands like foam. Just use super glue or super glue gel. And most of all be careful when attaching to the bill it will get into those feathers if you are careless. As for your original question, I agree with Nancy that skin is toast as far as repairing or cleaning up the marriage line.

6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

what she said....you need to at the very least soften the skin around the eyes and adjust the lids...you should have less color showing above pupil than below.....reference!!!

7. pjhunter17

pjhunter17 New Member

I tried remounting the whole duck, I learned not to use gorilla glue and that remounting is a pain in the a** I ended up trashing it and will be trying another one shortly

8. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

One problem with your head is the skin orientation. Look at few anatomic points. If you have windows seven or higher you can put a reference picture and a picture of your duck on the same screen 1/4 to 1/2 inch can make a lot of difference, I can tell your skin is not taxied forward enough on the head. Look at where the spots and color patterns are on yours and on the reference picture. The roughness under the throat area also shows the orientation is off, Never use Gorilla glue on any birds. when mounting back brush the feathers on the head with a wire or long pin.