1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question for Full Time Taxidermist

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by tmpatton22, Apr 21, 2016.

1. I will be going full time in taxidermy by the end of this year. My wife works a good paying part time job but she can't get insurance through them until she is full time which hopefully if all goes well will be by the end of summer. My question is if she doesn't get a full time position what insurance do you all recommend? I'm going to do some checking around but just thought the more information I could get the better I would be in the long run. Thanks

2. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Do you have insurance now? If so, you may need to move to a COBRA plan. Most health insurance plans enrollment periods are done for the year. Talk to an independent agent, they can explain the plans available for you in your area. For instance, because OCare eliminated a lot of options for me, I have only 2 companies I can use where I live, and their rate are very similar. If I lived 80 miles away near Minneapolis, my options would be more and cheaper.

3. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Get ready,

we have blue cross, 80/20 policy 3000 deductible each, Both nothing pre existing, healthy, non smokers.

14000.00 per year

4. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

Obama care is supposed to have all the answers...according to obama

5. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Damn! I am a smoker and have had a heart attack. Can't imagine what I would pay.

I was thinking of going full time myself recently and this was a huge factor.

6. I have government health care, waited 4 weeks for med refill. Clinic cut back personnel and then the Dr says I am sure you dont need this and that.

Cut two of my meds for migraines and well had three migraines, which required ER visits. Let me ask you $200. for the meds of $17,545.00 for the er visits?

I presented this to the Pay office for th ER visits and the patient rep. The Dr clinic lost their contract over it.

Good luck finding affordable insurance. LOL

7. Major

Major New Mexico.....Not much different than the old one

I pay $895 a month for my family (6)
    It isn't fun!!

8. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

You're still young each decade it goes up drastically, 40, 50, 60

What's really bad about it is with the way health care is these days you could work and save for 40 yrs and have one major illness and the 20% you'd have to pay would bankrupt you. It's utterly ridiculous.

9. Thanks for input everyone. I did some checking around today and found a couple options that are similar to the coverage that I carry for my family and I now. I am really hoping that my wife gets a full time position though.

10. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

If your wife is not full time with a good paying job already you might want to re think the full time move. Taxidermy is not an easy living nor reliable at the times you need the cash. Customers do not seem to care whether you have bills due or not. I am not trying to discourage you but I am speaking from experience and trying to be realistic. I ended up full time unintentionally due to a job loss. Good luck in your endeavor.

Todd B

11. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Better keep your real job.lol

12. My wife is technically part time at her job but she works 40 hours a week and the pay is very close to hat I make now. Thanks again for the input. I'm sick and tired of making other people money, when I could be making it for myself and not hating my life for 40 plus hours a week.

13. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN