1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Freshwater drum question

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by deeter73, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Hey all, just started skinning out a drum for a skin mount. It's popping scales everywhere while I'm trying to skin it. Any tricks on skinning these? I've never done one before but done lots of crappies and never popped scales on them. Any advise would be great before I kick the sh*t outta this fish :mad:

2. Shooterschoice

Shooterschoice work is for people who dont fish

slow, their scales should be big enough to pop back in. but a trick before skinning when you thaw them (people do this with bluegills and such as well) is when you have them in the water thawing mix it about 50% denatured alcohol, some do less some do more, that will help keep the skin tight while skinning or i have e heard people cover the skin in glue, i personally have never done this so have no clue if it works.

3. Thanks for the advise shooterschoice, I did manage to eventually get it skinned out. Far from a perfect job but i'm sure I can fix up few areas that lost scales. I had no idea how strong the bones are in a drum. I needed to use my heaviest tin snips and still had a bitch of a time breaking threw the spine and head areas. Glad that part is done and behind me...hope the rest of the process goes much smoother

4. Shooterschoice

Shooterschoice work is for people who dont fish

they also have a stone or two in their head, Old tale is they are good luck

5. Finally got it all mounted up and drying, mounted up pretty well. I never did find the "stones" in the head thou. I was real curious to see them.

6. FORTMEEKS

FORTMEEKS New Member

I recently mounted my first drum, wish I had pics! They are super hard to skin, I seriously wished I could take mine to a fleshing machine!

The "stones" are the ear bones. They are located in the head next to the brain cavity if I'm not mistaken, on mine they popped right out when I opened him up to clean out his head. They are how biologists age the fish (per my brother the fish biologist lol). I'm making earrings out of mine. ;D

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

On fish that pop scales easily "slow" is good advice but also take the carcass out in sections with your curved scissors. Less stress on the skin. Eliminating stress on the skin of fish like this is the name of the game.

I do crappies all the time and have no issues whatsoever doing it this way. I don't use any of the gimmicks others use like salt, methanol, or elmers glue.