1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Domestic horse skull in California? Can't find info.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Rain34, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Rain34

Rain34 Boo.

Ca
    I am looking to buy a horse skull from an owner surrendered animal/non feral. I known parts from feral/free roaming horses are banned in my state, but I find nothing on a pet horse skull being banned. How the heck can the authorities tell a wild horse from a owned horse anyway? :eek:

2. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Well-Known Member

Texas
    Hi Rain,

I doubt that authorities can tell the difference without a costly analysis of the calcium or dentition. Even then their results would likely be inconclusive. Understanding that domestic horses are lawful to own (even in California) there's a simple way to protect yourself from laws that don't apply to you. Do this:
    Write an affidavit (a short story, really) in which you carfully describe the domestic skull you acquire/ed when and how you acquired it, from whom (include address) under what circumstance and whatever relevant facts that back up that your skull is in fact from a domestic horse. Title the affidavit, AFFIDAVIT OF OWNERSHIP. Get it notarized. The most it will cost you is your time, ink and a sheet of paper - and a notary fee, maybe 5 bucks or even free from your bank notary.
    Here's why you will be protected from any dipute, controversy or oversealous game warden unsmart enough (dumb) to hassle or ticket you over a common hunk of bone. Your affidavit timely made is evidence in court (if the matter ever goes that far) of fact and truth. Think of it as pretestimony under oath should you ever need it. In order to convice an accused man or woman, the prosecution would have to present compelling evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that the facts in you affidavit are untrue and then they would have to show their evidence, which they'll have none of.
    You don't have to talk to your DNR, ask anyone's permission to buy the skull and you don't have to file your affidavit in any county recorder's office. Just keep it in a safe place. If or when you might sell the skull, whip out the affidavit and pass it on the new owner with the skull. You'll both be covered.

For more information on affidavits, read the article I wrote and published in Breakthrough a couple of years ago titled:
    AN AFFIDAVIT IS OUR FRIEND, subtitled: "I shot those ducks five years ago officer. Prove I didn't." Please remember that "they" work for us and not the other way around.

I have to say that this is NOT legal advice so that no one gets his tail up. It's not. If you don't claim or assert your rights, you don't have them. GO FOR IT!