1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Unknown feline pelt ID?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by bonus41, Apr 25, 2016.

1. bonus41

bonus41 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know much about feline pelts, but It's not a bobcat or lynx, I trap many of them each year and this feline is nothing like them.....

He is 74" from nose to tail, and has a very soft, thick, and plush coat! He has a few claws left, they beat the size of my cougar pelt.... It's definitely a vintage pelt

Thanks for the help :3

2. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Appears to be an Ocelot.

3. MooseFriend

MooseFriend Just a moose from Canada, eh?

I doubt Ocelot. Ocelots are very small (max 32"" in comparison to this 74") with fewer, broader spots and a longer tail.

Big cats are my jam; Where did you get this pelt? Was it trapped locally or did you buy it somewhere?

Obvious: Not a tiger, jaguar, lion, cheetah, cougar, carcal
    It's not: An ocelot, serval, lynx, bobcat,

I'm almost inclined to say some sort of leopard, but that seems... farfetched...

Attached Files:

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I would say Ocelot except for the size, but are you sure about the measurement? That measurement puts the width of the hide at approximately 17" and the flooring slats it is laying on would be 8"-10" wide. Regardless, I don't think it is legal.

5. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

I agree with the spot pattern not matching an Ocelot. However, an Ocelot skin could easily measure over 40" from nose to tail tip. But nowhere near 74". I wasn't considering the measurement posted. Must be a regular Panthera Pardus with some of the tail missing.

6. Is there any chance the 74" is meant to be centimeters instead of inches? It looks a lot like an ocelot...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

74 centimeters would be more like a Margay than an Ocelot. It's supposed to have large claws too. That's probably the closest leopard pattern on an Ocelot I've ever seen. Very close to the skin in question if it was elongated like the tanned skin.

8. John67

John67 Member

Looks like an Oncilla pattern.

9. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Yes, but even smaller than a Margay.

10. AliciaG

AliciaG Museum taxidermist and exhibit preparator

Asian leopard cat (note the short tail)?

11. MooseFriend

Leopard cats grow to be max 27", but...

I'm thinking the initial measurement on this thread is supposed to be in centimetres...

12. Nightweaver

Nightweaver Member

This person bought this pelt off ebay. From someone in Europe and they're in canada. They refuse to acknowledge they bought the pelt and claim they got it off someone local. Yet won't show any other pictures aside from the ebay listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lynx-Pelt-Taxidermy-Training-Hunting-Lodge-Decor-/272212686383

Also this person is a scammer, who uses loopholes and lies to swindle people out of their money and parts of her trade and LOVES dealing with kids from the USA claiming she's able to ship things back to america legally, etc. yet tells people her licensing is expired and thats why she can't mail people's things, or claims customs confiscated it, she will claim she's refunded people but she hasn't. So be wary of her, I don't know if she's smuggling since Canada probably has different laws, but she also is claiming to be getting a lion cub from someone in Europe too and was trying to sell it to people on Facebook before she even got it in her possession.

Just wanted to clear all that up :) Enjoy your probably illegal items

13. This cat is definitely NOT 72" long. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lynx-Pelt-Taxidermy-Training-Hunting-Lodge-Decor-/272212686383?hash=item3f6123f62f%3Ag%3A06kAAOSwv%7ExXEKVG&nma=true&si=5aNTJvGdRccbM%252Bk2jfsDcCA3GZ8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
    Look at the pictures of the person's hand pointing at its flaws, and you can clearly see the leg skins and just how tiny the pelt is, as well as the tape measure showing how long it is.

14. Nightweaver

Nightweaver Member

More like the guy on ebay shows it with a tape measure on it, funny those pics were left out.

15. The 74" is definitely meant to be centimeters based on the tape measure (says 31 inches in pic; 74cm is about 29in)

Not sure how "where OP bought it from" has to do with anything since the thread's topic is just about identification and not buying/selling...

16. They said 74" nose to tail, then said "He has a few claws left, they beat the size of my cougar pelt".. If they said the claws beat the size of the ones on her cougar's pelt, then she definitely meant inches, not centimeters.

Therefore, as far as ID goes, it has to be a small cat of some sort.

17. Nightweaver

Nightweaver Member

because if you actually read the other posts on this thread someone asks where they got it from? That's a good reason why? Sorry some people address multiple points in one comment.

18. Nightweaver

Nightweaver Member

also the OP clearly says the pelt is "huge" and the claws are huge too which, clearly they arent if you look at the ebay listing.

again, in case someone missed it. please look at the photos.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lynx-Pelt-Taxidermy-Training-Hunting-Lodge-Decor-/272212686383?nma=true&si=nYB78DpuYeQzjxjSqr5%252FrURRTE4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

there is no way that tiny cat has claws that can "outdo a cougars claws" in size

19. MooseFriend

That's what I was wondering! Cat would have some localized gigantisism, otherwise. The measurements confused me since it can't be a leopard, but 74cm with bigger-than-cougar paws/claws was wrong.

So did the OP buy this? Is she selling it? Was she wondering about the ad? Or is this the seller from Ukraine having a laugh?

20. Many of us doubt the OP bought it, or is lying about how she got it. She claimed it she got it from a taxidermist that died, yet there was an Ebay listing for it up about 1-2 weeks before she started sharing photos around, and it ended with "best offer accepted" on the 25th. Not to mention she has been sharing the Ebay photos only (and only the select 3 shown here), claiming that they are hers and that the Ebay person stole "her photos" (despite the fact that the ebay user's other listings has the exact flooring and lighting) and refuses to show proof that she actually has it.
    Much skepticism with this one.