1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Personal Warty

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by AZ~Rich, Apr 25, 2016.

1. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

This very old bugger finally sits in my Cave corner. He was estimated to be near 15 yrs old when I took him and would have not made it another 3-4 months according to all the PHs in camp. Aside from the PITA of removing literally millions of lice eggs and the additional broadhead cuts to head/ear/neck and torso, it went together without too much issue. The base actually took as long to make as the form alterations, skin prep, mounting and finishing combined. As far as tusk quality goes, I don't think I will ever top this one.

P.S. I still am working on more foliage and base inserted pieces to blend in and create better flow that corner.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. That is without question the nicest mount and one of the biggest hogs I have seen. Coming out of his burrow, man, you did such a fabulous job. I have lately began a search for large tusked warthog skulls, and just large tusks if I can find them. 11 1/2 " and up is what I am looking for. also need a number of the lower tusks if anyone has any for sale. Again, love the job you did on that bad boy !!!!!

3. how long are the tusks on that guy, including the roots

4. AZ~Rich

Thanks! They were 13 15/16" and 13 8/16", with 3 11/16 and 3 12/16" circumferences. I made molds and casts of all his tusks which I will use for his skull.

5. Gary A

Gary A N. West Taxidermy 208-404-9706

I just got my first warty done. Getting ready to paint him. Would u be available for a few finishing paint questions? Thanks. Gary

6. old guy

old guy Member

Those guys are so ugly,,,they are absolutely beautiful in my eyes,,,great job,,,they are like a '38 willys hotrod
    so ugly and gorgeous at the same time...great job!!!!

7. AZ~Rich

Sure thing Gary, be happy to help out if I can. PM sent

8. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

wow what a huge hog and a fantastic job

9. AZ~Rich

Thanks Museum Man, you also helped me on the tusk preservation.