1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rabies + Raccoon Skull

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Keeks, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Keeks

Keeks New Member

I was wondering how long the rabies virus can survive once an animal has died? I found a raccoon skull that was mostly clean (save for some flesh + very small amounts of rotting tissue inside the skull). I macerated it and now it's in peroxide. It must've died over winter and re-thawed in the spring. (It's ironic this is my new hobby since I worry so much about getting sick!)

The raccoon having rabies when it was alive is WAY out there I know, but hypothetically what are the chances of the virus still being present?

2. While I don't know how long the virus can survive after host-death, it generally transmits via infected saliva (it's also found in the nerves) entering mucus membranes (eyes, mouth, inner nose, inner ears, etc.) or open wounds. Unless you rubbed the meat all over yourself, you're completely safe from rabies.

3. Keeks

Keeks New Member

Thanks! So do you think after putting it in peroxide I won't have to worry about the virus anymore?

4. As far as I know, the peroxide will get rid of any remaining pathogens along with the leftover meat.

5. IMNTM

IMNTM Southern Wildlife Art Taxidermy

24hrs at room temp per er Doctor,FL animal control, & FL health department

6. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

That's what I've heard, but didn't have the information to back it up. Also can be airborne when host is alive.