1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Salting deer cape question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by austin_0_4, Apr 27, 2016.

1. austin_0_4

austin_0_4 New Member

Hey Guys,

Quick one here. I traditionally salt my capes after fleshing/turning, let sit with skin to skin on an angle to allow fluid to drain. Then in a day or two I shake out as much salt as a I can and resalt. I then let it sit skin out and allow it to dry further before rolling it up for shipping. I am yet to have an issue with a salted cape. Anyway, I have been on a run of cool and damp weather. I currently have a cape that has been double salted and left to dry, skin out at this point. This time around I happened to notice the hair side feels a bit damp yet. Should I be concerned about this?? I can't say I have noticed this before on any other capes, but then again I can't say I have checked either. The cape is still relatively pliable, however I am not optimistic I would be able to turn it hair side out as it is a short Y cut. Its dried a little farther than the point where I would typically roll it up.

Just curious what some more experienced guys think??

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I just fold once, maybe three times if a big cape, not roll. I hang capes after 24-36 hours in salt to dry nice and even for a day or two, then fold for shipping. You should be fine as some of my capes don't dry to hard white when shipping, never lost a cape.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Put a fan on it.

4. Gary A

Gary A N. West Taxidermy 208-404-9706

I salt my short y's and leave fur out for at least 24 hours. I want the hair dry before I turn it skin side out. I don't like having the epidermis damp or the fur near skin. Same with ears. Especially around my eyes. I've never resalted any cape in 20+ years. Wasting salt imo. If it doesnt disolve its a waste and doing nothing imo.