1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Artificial noses

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Ncole, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Ncole

Ncole New Member

Does anyone use whitetail artificial noses for mule deer or know where to find an artificial nose for a mule deer? Everywhere I look only has whitetail noses.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Look up at the right side of this page. You will find suppliers. Click on suppliers and you will find several that have mule deer noses.

3. Yeah that's def a tough one! I checked my Revolution catalogs, Joe Coombs, McKenzie and Research Mannikin's catalogs. No mule deer replacement noses that I can find.
    How about maybe casting one from another mulie if you have access to one instead?

4. It's hard to find one. And it's harder to find a good one. Steve tait used to make some of the best artificial noses and then sold it to someone else who decided to not make and sell them anymore. While I was cleaning my shop last week I came across two that I still had. I just use them as reference and carve all the noses as best I can to match. Are you wanting one for a competition?

5. Trufitt. Roy Cogburn's noses are really good.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Truefit page 151. Roy Cogburn artificial noses. ms1419 med. male mule deer nose. 1420 lrg. male mule deer nose.

7. Just curious on why you are seeking one? Is it for reference or was the nose in a cape that came in damaged or such?

8. Ncole

Ncole New Member

I'd like one for both reference and to put on the manikin. I've been using artificial septums in my noses but I have a hard time keeping the inner shape right while putting the septum in.

9. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Great advice, if by several you meant none then you were dead on.

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I remember several suppliers having them. Since the last time I looked for them, all of those companies, except Research and Trufit, have dropped them.

11. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

Are you looking for artificial nose to replace the nose skin that is damaged beyond repair ? If so you can you can use the nose pad tool from replica racks. Go to his website to get information on it Replicaracks.com

12. Utahtaxi

Utahtaxi New Member

Get in touch with Dave Ferguson. He is making some artificial mule deer and elk noses out of a high density foam. I have used a couple with great results.