1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's on your workbench?

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Sonnyknight, May 2, 2016.

1. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

I haven't had much time to work on replicas as i have had in the past, but i did finish a couple up. Now if i can just finish a box turtle ive been working on ill be in good shape. He'll be done by the end of the week though. The first one i finished is a Barking Tree Frog Replica from Morgans, painted to look like a Red Eyed Tree Frog. When i ordered this blank, Morgans didn't have a red eyed tree frog blank, so i was improvising, but it appears that problemis solved and that they now have a Red Eyed Blank that i will be getting shortly. I know the eyes aren't slitted like that should be, but i will take care of that next time. I also wasn't able to get many of the blue/yellow stripes that i wanted due to the leg placement of the blank. But i did the best i could with what i had to work with. The next one should be much better though.

Attached Files:

2. Trapper2016

The other replica i just finished is a Jacksons Chameleon blank from Morgans, painted to look like a Panther Chameleon. I have a base blanned for him that i think will showcase him, but that will take some time to get together. The blank, being it was meant to be a Jacksons Chemeleon, is actually pretty small, so i wasn't able to get the detail i was hoping for. Or maybe it was just my airbrush skills that failed to live up to what i wanted ti to look like, but i put alot of detail and time into him. Hopefully in the future i will get my hands on a panther chameleon blank to try out. I will post a pic once the base is finished and he is attached.

Chris

Attached Files:

3. Trapper2016

I finally finished a box turtle i had been working on. It didn't turn out as good as i wanted, primarily because of black paint problems, but i did the best with it that i could.

Hope everyone had a good weekend

Chris

Attached Files:

4. Trapper2016

Here is the other angle. Its the head that really gave me trouble. Trying to get the detail with sputtering paint was beyond a pain in the butt.

Attached Files:

5. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Man awesome job Chris ! Your replica work is amazing !!
    Tommy

Trapper2016 likes this.
  6. Brian

Brian Active Member

Looks great chris.your work is always a pleasure to look at.

7. Trapper2016

I really appreciate the kind words Brian and Tommy. They are far from looking like they should, but im getting more experience under my belt with each one. Thanks again guys.

Chris

8. Trapper2016

I got around to getting a base done for that Chameleon i was playing around with. It didn't turn out too bad. Maybe i went a little to heavy on the moss though.

Chris

Attached Files:

9. Trapper2016

A little closer shot.

Attached Files:

10. Brian

Brian Active Member

Damn chris that looks sweet man.i like the moss look.i think you nailed it.way to go man.

11. Trapper2016

I recently finished up a Spotted Salamander Replica for a friend. It turned out okay overall.

Chris

Attached Files:

12. Brian

Brian Active Member

You nailed it chris.great job bud.love seeing the replicas they are awesome

13. Trapper2016

Thanks Brian! I have a little work left to do on this Green Anole, most of which is powder work, but he is mostly done. Not much to the paint job, but they still are cool reptiles. Ill knock the shine off of him at the end.

Chris

Attached Files:

14. Sonnyknight

Sonnyknight Member

Here
    I think I can take this off my work bench lol but I thought I would share it.
    Sonny

Attached Files:

15. Brian

Brian Active Member

Cool mount sonny.i must say I'm a sucker for a snapper mount.looks great man

16. Sonnyknight

Sonnyknight Member

Here
    Thanks Brian he did get best of category too. but he was hard and a pain to do lol.

Thanks Sonny

17. Brian

Brian Active Member

I've attempted probally 20 times at doing them. Needless to say they all became just skulls and shells.they sure are a pain.one day I will finally do one.lol.i attempted a 60 pounder I caught i skinned it out and said forget it.toughest skin I've ever delt with

18. Trapper2016

That looks great Sonny!

Well i don't know if i would call this a success or a failure. I tried my hand at a Hellbender, but I wanted to stray away from the typical colorations (browns,blacks). I searched through the net and found some cool images of a few Hellbenders that were pretty brilliantly colored (bright orange,brown). I really liked this color combination so I gave it a try on a Morgan Replica. I think i was able to achieve the overall color scheme of what i was going for, as it was pretty simple, but it kinda looks like a Gila Monster once painted up, lol.

It also makes making a base habitat a little tricky for him, because he really is not going to match many backrgounds at all. I was going to make a river rock base for him to be sitting against but i really think he will be out of place now. Anyway, lesson learned, but i think he turned out kinda cool none the less. Ill first attach a pic of what i was trying to achieve.

Chris

Attached Files:

19. Trapper2016

And a shot of the face. Be what it is, i still kinda like the thing.
    Chris

Attached Files:

20. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

SWEET !! Looks awesome as always Chris.
    Tommy