1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Moose eyes??

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by BlackRiverTaxidermy, May 4, 2016.

1. BlackRiverTaxidermy

BlackRiverTaxidermy New Member

Doing my first Shiras moose shoulder mount and I have a question about the eyes? Some companies don't even offer moose eyes and the ones that do offer them look nowhere near as good as some of the elk and deer eyes (lacking eye veining, white edges, etc). I have been hearing that some use either an elk or dark deer eye for the form. I have a set of elk eyes ('Natural' eyes from Mckenzie) that I really like in elk forms, but will this work for the moose or should I go strickly with some ordered actual moose eyes.
    What is your experience and what eyes do you like the best for moose forms?
    Thanks!
    Joel-BlackRiver Taxidermy

2. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

I can't remember the specific eyes I used on my last few Alaskan-Yukon moose, but "dark deer" Natural Eyes or Bio-optix II from Vandyke's worked well for most of the one's I've mounted. If it helps you decide on color selection, attached are a few reference photos I took of an Alaskan moose that give you a pretty good idea of color, scleral position, and nictitating membrane. Hope they help a little (though Shiras may be different in color). If you want a few in higher resolution, just PM me and I can email them to you.

Dave

Attached Files:

3. Lone Wolf AK

more

Attached Files:

4. Lone Wolf AK

last

Attached Files:

5. BlackRiverTaxidermy

BlackRiverTaxidermy New Member

Awesome...thank you!

6. Lone Wolf AK

Hope they help. Good luck on the project.

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

SPAMMING site with clickbait ads. Reported user and posts.