1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Fish Advice

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Trapper2016, May 4, 2016.

1. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Hello everyone, hope you are doing well.

Well i just finished up my first fish. I have never painted one before, so i decided to pick up Rick Kranes DVD on Brook Trout Painting. I loved it, and have to thank Rick for putting together such a detailed film. I really do think that because of it, that i can do a much better job on a fiberglass blank. But as i knew that i would likely screw up, i picked up a ranbow trout half cast blank from mckenzie, and painted it up llike a brook trout. They didn't have any brook blanks that were half cast, so using a rainbow blank was the next best thing.

I encountered several problems though, that i am hoping others may be able to help me with. I am not sure exactly what those half cast blanks are made out of (some type of resin i suppose), but i had a difficult time getting paint to adhere to the blank. I am using water based paints, but do have a few laquor paints, and i had a problem with both types. Watching Rick paint, there is zero issue at all in the paint adhering to the blank. Is this due to a quality blank being fiberglass? It was due to this tendency for the paint to just bead up and run off the blank, that i couldnt really do a better job. It made detailing the vermiulations on the back very difficult, but i got them the best i could. If the paint would have adhered better, i could have made much more detailed vermiculations. And the fins basically would hold no paint for me to try vermiculations on. Therefore the fin work is pretty crappy.

As a beginner, is this paint problem something that i am likely to encounter on expensize full size blanks? Ricks methods were great, and it all went smooth, except for the paint just beading up and blowing off. Therefore i had to go over the repro 5 or 6 times in each area in order to get it to hold color. It held color the best in the middle, but it tedious. I messed up on the facial coloring and i didn't get things dark enough over the eye area where i epoxied in the eye. Woud more paynes gray have done the trick there?

I appreciate all input, and i know its a poor attempt, but it was just for practice and taught me alot.
    Thanks for viewing
    Chris

Attached Files:

2. Trapper2016

Here is another shot. In the future i definetly will make my spots bigger and make the vibrant ones stand out more. It was such a small blank though, i was scared to make them too big.

Attached Files:

3. Trapper2016

And another

Attached Files:

4. Chris , first thing you do to a replica of any kind, ( fish , bear nose , duck head ) is to wipe them down with lacquer thinner, then spray them with a base coat sealer, I use ''super fish sealer '' from McKenzie supply, I don't use water base so I have no comment on that, Lacquers work fine once you seal the mount, I also seal my skin mounted fish the same way.

I have heard of guys using rubbing alcohol to thin water base paint , so it would dry quicker,,

keep trying you will get one day

5. Sonnyknight

Sonnyknight Member

Here
    Wow I wish my first fish looked like that.

6. I hope my first fish could look that good too... Hope I can post my first fish at the end of this month.

7. Trapper2016

I appreciate the advice guys, and thanks for the compliment sonny and theartofwildlife. It looks alot worse in person though, lol.

Michael, thanks for that information. Before painting the fish i applied Krylon white primer to the blank, but i did not wipe it down with thinner. Is the primer something i should not be doing?

One thing that i did notice, that maybe is my problem, is the typpe of sealer i was using. Using powders and such, it was necessary to seal the fish numerous times, and it seemed to be much more difficult to get paint to hold each time i sealed the fish. I was using Acrylic sealer aerosol from the craft store, and it was a gloss. Coud this be my problem? I have looked around and it seems that all of the acrylic sealers that i have found have a glossy finish to them. Does the super fish sealer leave a glossy finish? I really think that the sealer may be some of my problem.

Thanks again for the advice and comments guys
    Chris

8. Trapper2016

Hi Ken, and thanks alot for your advice and information. I will try washing the next one i do to see fi that helps. On the sealer you mentioned, do you use those throughout the mountig process to seal the paint work at different stages. Or do you just use it to seal in the very beginning. Do you think those 2 sealers you mentioned would be conducive with water based paints? The one down side about using the powders that Rick recommends, is that they require sealing at different stages. But too be honest, i have no idea what im doing, im just tring to learn as i go. I really appreciate the advice.

Thanks again
    Chris