1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Send back form or modify?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Trapper2016, May 5, 2016.

1. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Hello everyone,

I apologize for this question but my lack of taxidermy knowledge has got me frustrated. I purchased a ringtail cat form last week and upon checking out any form i get in (i only am doing taxidermy for myself i should add), i make sure to check out the face. I always check the lip line to make sure its even on both sides, and also look to make sure the face looks proportionate. I recently had a red fox pedestal form that had a crooked lip line, and overall facial structure flaws, and thanks to this site, i was able to fix it pretty easy, by moving one side of the face up slightly. This form i have now though, seems to be a bigger problem, especially for a novice like me.

I have enclosed a few pictures to help show this. The facial structure seems to be off, with his left side sitting lower and, the lip line is pretty far off. To illustrate this, i took a pair of calipers to the eyes, measuring the lip line to the eye socket. And as you can see, its pretty far off. So my question is, should i send this back? Or should i expect a replacement form to have the same problem? I am not sure how the production of the forms works, and do not know if all the forms are likely to have the same defect, or if a replacement likely would be better.

I imagine most epxerienced taxidermists could fix this with epoxy or clay by moving the lip line in the proper direction, but i worry about doign that, as im afraid it will give me fits when in try and tuck the lips.

I really would appreciate any advice, and thanks advance for your time.

Chris

Attached Files:

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

That's not bad a all. Take a thin bladed saw like a coping saw and cut the head in half down the center. Put a bit of gorilla glue between the 2 halves, line up and put a couple of screws through the head to hole together, done.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Manikins are just sculptures, not even close to perfect, none of them. It is our / your job to adjust and overcome. You are the manipulator, and not just an assembler, you make it work, you make it fit.

4. Nature is not perfect.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I once got a deer form that had no detail on the left side of the face . No muscle detail or lower eye socket.

I took a mechanics/ wood working contour gauge and sculpted the muscle detail onto the form with oil based clay. I used the contour gauge to match the sides for symmetry.
    I then put paste wax on the form and laid up fiberglass resin and mat and let harden. I removed the clay and paste wax and roughed up the form there so two part foam would adhere to the form.
    I used a dowel to leave a hole in the fiberglass mold and was able to pour two part foam in it.
    It worked great and didn't take very long to do.

6. nina5150

nina5150 Well-Known Member

Visually hou can see on the left side he has a smerk and the upper lip is more full.if it were mine,i would sand down the fuller upper lip to match the weaker side.open up the right nostril to match the left,sand down both corners of the lip line.match the right lip line to the left by drimel or lip tuck tool.then at the time i begin mounting i would place a little clay to rebuild the lip line,nostril and make the front of the upper lip a little fuller if needed.the clay will alow me to adjust for the right fullness and make things symmetrical. Thats what i have to do when i get a form that has a weaker side.im also one who feels the face will always make or break a mount.good luck..

7. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

I appreciate all the feedback and information everyone. And thank you very much for the suggestions nina. I will try and tackle this thing, and maybe it won't be as bad as it i am making it out to be.

Thanks everyone
    Chris