1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

NEW UPS SURCHARGES

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by fishmaster, May 6, 2016.

1. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

NICE! Just got an email that there will be a surcharge on any parcels that exceed 48" on the longest dimension. This used to be 60". This will add $10.50 to your shipping. Gotta love it.

2. They probably still have the fuel surcharge too even though fuel prices have dropped a lot. If you have a 48" box delivered to a residence then you would get three surcharges, fuel, residential, and the long dimension charge all on top of your shipping charge. That's crazy.

3. clewis

clewis New Member

Depending on where you live, there are a number of other options to explore. I left UPS a long time ago. Their surcharges added up to an additional 25% to the shipping charge, which I already considered excessive. If you are a UTA member, check out Unishippers. In some areas they save a material amount of money. If that does not work, talk with your regional FedEx rep I now use them and save about 84%. They also pick up at my shop. Again, they may not be the best deal for you, but checking around can be a good choice to save your customers money. I wish the major suppliers would do this as well. Good Luck

4. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

There is a simple solution to this..... Just don't mount any big fish.....LOL.

5. I blew UPS off 2 years ago when they refused to pay a damage claim for a bobcat I sent out.
    Box looked like it was kicked and smashed.
    SpeeDee now, I drive an hour to get it, but that's ok.

6. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

I've never gotten them to pay for insured items that were damaged. They will just claim that the item wasn't packed well enough every time, no matter how well you packed it.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

They sure do add fuel surcharges. No shame!

Ship and receive everything USPS now. USPS isn't perfect but they don't gouge me with extra charges, they are more reasonable, and they in cases where I ship more than 3 or 4 states away get my shipment their faster with Priority Mail.

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I did once when we directed their rep to the Utube videos of their drivers throwing and kicking boxes. She tried to tell us that they were always gentle with boxes and it was my fault.

Must be a hell of a money maker to rarely pay out on insurance. Must be in the millions.

9. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

UPS wasn't always that way. I remember shipping electronics I repaired (Camcorders, VCR's etc.) through UPS and when got they damaged (rarely) they covered it for the insured amount with almost no questions asked. The problem is probably some people found out this was an easy way to make a buck from their junk. Send it to a friend and claim UPS damaged it, collect money, do it again. Everyone is right, UPS charges way too much. I have taken to having shipments sent by way of the USPS lately also.

Another interesting side note regarding fuel surcharges. Has anyone else noticed that the price of food has not gone down even though the price of fuel has? Remember a few years back they claimed this was the reason for prices escalating and how they said when the price of fuel went back down (if ever) prices on the shelves would also. I am still waiting for the price on the shelf to retreat but obviously not holding my breath.

10. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

I have heard from a reliable source that McKenzie has talked them into doing this ................................... ::)

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

UPS wasn't always on the stock exchange. Once that happens costs go up, service quality goes down, and the bean counters are constantly scrambling to cut corners to increase show term profit. The sad part is it's never enough to be profitable for Wallstreet. You have to increase profits continually. If you overestimate returns you will be downgraded.